Sunday, December 11, 2022

Sunday Reading - I Am Where I Am


 

Mid December already I can't believe it. I know the worst of Winter is yet to come but this last part of Fall has went much faster and overall better than I had thought it was going to. 

The unexpected reason I have not gotten any thing done on my Winter projects has really been the massive increase in my work hours. Which is a mixed blessing as I see it. Might as well get the money while I can I may have more than enough time for projects soon and wishing I had more extra cash too spend on em. I may have more free time than I want. Truth is if I go more than two or three days without having to go in to the dealership I kinda miss those guys.

I just hope I don't have any unexpected emergency situations crop up before Spring at this point with any of my buildings. That is my main fear as it can really set me back in one form or another.

I have a question for any of you construction knowledgeable readers out there. What type of lumber should I use for an outside deck to house my Wood Furnace on? The last one I built over 12 years ago is already showing rot and I am going to have to hire a backhoe and have my furnace set off to rebuilt the deck this coming Summer. So far buying what the home and lumber store called their best treated outdoor lumber has proven very hit or miss on it's resistance to rot so much so I really need a better option. If one can be recommended.

Ten more days until things start to stay light longer. 

I did replenish feed stocks today. I noticed grain has went up about 2 bucks per 50 lb. bag again on average. Last Summer is all ranged between $12.00 and $14.00 per bag and it is now sitting between $17.00 and $19.00 and some change. There were many other items I noticed an increase in I won't bore you with the details but one in particular I had on the Wife's side present list. She has been complaining about having to bring wood in for the smaller stove when I am at work so I decided to pick up one of those handled sling carry things for her. Last week it was $24 bucks this week it was $30. Maybe it was on sale last week or something. Not a big deal of course but we have not had to carry wood before as I always kept it stacked next to the Furnace before.

All in all I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that not only I am half the manual laborer I used to be I am also down to about half the workforce. Much of my time is taken up with employment as I mentioned but routine things like feeding and such our now my jobs as well. I am surprised at just how much extra time that adds, especially since I always find a few extra things that need taken care of anyway.

I am just going to have to be content with a slower pace than I used to be.

I did have an interesting experience today though during the late afternoon.  It's been misting and damp with the temps hovering about the mid to upper 30's the last few days. Dreary is the word but it has stopped the construction next door completely and I heard complete silence for the first time in Weeks for a brief few minutes. Not even a car engine. These times of silence are very rare now I have written about them before. It did not last long as within a few minutes and F-150 came down the road and spoiled it but I was beginning to think I wa snever going to get a silent instance around here again after this Summer.

Perhaps there is still hope.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!


 

7 comments:

  1. Use treated lumber to make a permanent raised form for the raised concrete slab with re-enforcing wire. Most of the fill inside the form could be concrete shatter from broken blocks mixed with concrete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon- So you are suggesting I pour a slab or wall to set it on? Wouldn't that be cost prohibitive at my age especially? I do have a cement mixer so I could pour it myself but I require a concrete slab to make it to the end of my use period.

      Delete
  2. Why not use recycled plastic lumber? The warranty against rot and weathering is pretty sweet.

    At my age I build once so my grandkids can enjoy it. Don't have energy to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael - Is that the yellow wood I hear people mention? I used treated lumber last time and some of it barely lasted a year before rotting and it rotted fast too.

      Delete
  3. I use treated lumber for anything touching the ground or staying damp. Redwood is no match for the termites here in the Wild West. Do what you can to make sure air flows underneath the structure to allow the wood to dry when possible. I don't use nails at all I use rustproof deck screws.

    We can only do what we can do as we get older, PP. What used to take me a few hours now takes all day! We are what we are and ain't what we ain't...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - Ya I used treated lumber but it just ain't what it used to be it seems to me. My original deck I helped my grandfather put here is still intact but the extension I did about 12 years agi now has huge rotten parts already.

      Delete
  4. TB - Hmm it sounds interesting I am trying to make sure it is the stuff I am thinking of. I suppose I could ask for just plastic wood and the guys at the home lumber store will know what I am asking for?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.