Sunday, December 25, 2022

Lessons Learned During this Terrible Storm

 

This last storm was not the coldest temps we have had to weather at the Small-Hold, nor is it anywhere near the most snow. I do believe it was the longest stretch of single digit or sub-zero temps with the highest accompanied wind speeds though. Perhaps not the highest winds either but the longest sustained wind and coldest temps I am pretty sure. Certainly it is the worst cold snap storm I have had the pleasure of dealing with in a very long time and the first one I can remember where the entire thing was on me 100%.

I can remember bad Winters back in the 70's with much colder temps and much more massive snow storms in the 80's but I was never the one in charge, nor financially liable for damage and repairs nor had anything at stake back then.  I can remember "snowmegeddon" when I had dozens of locals who just ditched their vehicles in my driveway, in the road in front of my driveway, in my front yard etc. I can remember ice storms that lasted an entire month and temps well down into the negative teens but I will always say this Storm has been the worst I have had to personally deal with all by myself ever.

I never remember literally being stuck on this farm for 4 days straight before either. Not that I haven't stayed here longer than that voluntarily every chance I get mind you but I was stuck here due to the ramifications of leaving under such high winds for the last four days. OK in truth I could have left this afternoon as it did stop but it took me all afternoon to get things done that needed immediate attention. Like more wood for the furnace and water for one of the Sheep toughs. Leaving was impossible.

No damage, No deaths, No losses. Even the barn roof held up with no new tin edges coming up. I think my Dad was a bit disappointed I had to cancel Christmas dinner over at his house but he understood. The Goat refugee is even back out where she belongs too.

Most important is what I learned during this ordeal though.

1. I have to do something about that county water line not shutting off. It needs to. I could easily weather this storm if it wasn't for the fact that water continues to seep through the shut off on that line. When we still had a well house I know we would just shut the well pump down and drain the pipes but I can no longer do that. I can shut all water that comes into the house down and drain it but I still get water coming up that line to the foundation and it freezes and burst the pipes at the foundation. Pipes are easier to repair in the house than to chip away 8 inches of foundation I need a shut off that works if I have to install one out in the ground or they have to fix theirs, one way or another it needs addressing. I would rather just drill a new well but I would need to mortgage this place off to pay for one. I could get by here indefinitely with just what remains well-wise and through water catchment but I do like long showers.

2. If you know there is a really dangerous temperature drop coming between dawn and sunset don't let your inexperienced chickens out to free range. The temps dropped so fast they didn't know how to handle it. Blizzard rescues of stiffly frozen chickens is not fun after the Sun goes down. Might be entertaining while it is still light out though. After the first day my chickens quickly learned to stay in their coop until the temps warmed up significantly.

3. If you have an old 6 Volt tractor...KEEP it and never switch it over to 12 volt. NEVER!!! I go to great lengths to keep my 6 volt tractor original and on days like this when I have to go load up more wood when it is 9 degrees out I am reminded why. That battery in the 6 volt is still original or old enough so it is to me and I have had that tractor decades now. Six volts seem to never die like 12 volt ones do.

4. I will never fully get rid of my Wood Furnace. I must admit I have enjoyed using the smaller inside wood stove so far this Winter but when the winds blow hard against the house nothing forces the cold back near as well as the furnace pushing up against the inside. Being able to load it with 6 to 8 hours of fuel is great too when you have other matters that need attended to. 

5. Always haul about 3 times more wood than you think is enough. It never is and I actually already knew that and thought I over compensated enough. I was wrong.

I guess we aren't done yet either. Another snow storm coming through tonight and supposedly single digit temps tomorrow night too. I think the worst is well passed us now for a while though.

Merry Christmas ALL and Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!


 

4 comments:

  1. hoping to have a small wood stove by next year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post PP. We can't control things like the weather, but we can certainly learn from them. Analysis is always in order, I think. As is taking to heart what we learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear the critters all made It, PP! 😎👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. PP, sounds like that county line is the number one priority - do you have the option to put in a shutoff past their line?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.