Friday, September 30, 2022

New Endeavor

 

Over the years I have managed to collect about half a dozen damaged water troughs here and there. One was an old metal tank of about 250 + gallon size that I actually repaired once but it ended up rusting down thin enough that I finally gave up on it two years ago and turned it into a raised bed. Another is a rubber type one of at least 200 gallons that I clipped with the very edge of a grader blade and about three other remaining 50 or so gallon rubber ones that have small cuts in them some how.

I had them all stored in the hay loft of the barn until just recently I decided to try and repair them. I actually managed to get one up and running again with no leakage using just some flex seal spray but the remaining two are going to require a bit more effort so I actually ordered a rubber "welding" kit to see how that is going to work for me. 

If these fixes work I have about three rain water drain places to put them to good use on. One on each side of my 100' x 50' barn would probably help with a lot of the stock watering issues in a grid down situation if I can get them to survive Winter freezing. The other I have earmarked for the new guttering I am installing on the garden shed. 

If I can manage to repair them it could potentially save me a few hundred dollars over all but I have no experience in just how sturdy repaired rubber tanks really are. I do know the rubber type ones survive Winters around here a lot better than the light metal ones as they are able to stretch when we get those inevitable re-freeze conditions. The re-freezes are always what destroy any type of water catchment I try and use. The wider bell shaped top opening on the rubber trough allow the top ice to push up where as the metal ones like to catch on the lip and then push out the sides.

So I guess I will be trying my hand at a bit of rubber welding this week. I will take pictures and make a post about it.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!! 

 

1 comment:

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.