Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Killer Dust Storms in Illinois Who Knew?

 

Ya who would have thought it possible but it has been extremely dry around here this Late Winter and Early Spring. Like around the Small-Hold, where it is time to actually begin planting (on a smaller scale of course) I guess they are planting East of us as well and caused a huge pile up on I-55 from all the dust they kicked up.


Highway Reopens after 70 vehicles crash


Funny the wife was complaining when I drove through one just down the road from us yesterday and I didn't bother to draw her attention to the guys plowing and seeding the huge field right across the road from us last night either. Honestly I was glad to see em planting that field cause that pretty much assures me it is going to be there now until next year. although by this afternoon they have only got about half of it actually planted. 

To tell the truth I haven't done much the last couple of days as it's been colder than usual and much too windy so I am actually a couple days behind last years timing according to my notes. I am just not too fond of doing lawn or garden (or roofing for that matter) work in winds higher than 15 MPH or so unless it is warmer than it has been lately. Besides I needed to repair the air compressor in the barn anyway. That's my excuse.

Looks like the high winds are suppose to be moving out of our area tomorrow so I will need to get back to work.

I also have not seen the new stray cat since Sunday although something is eating all the food I put out for her. I am going to need to get the cage trap out now as I cannot risk a breeding female cat on the loose on the place or I will have a real mess to clean up. I haven't seen that yellow Tom either.  The Tom can probably take care of himself but a recent newly abandoned half grown kitten with no experience is in more danger out here and she obviously is not just staying on the porch. So I need to know if she is gone for whatever reason or just in hiding.

Just for curiosity sake I did make a couple of late morning/early afternoon runs to the closest Mini-Target (AKA Dollar General) and spotted four out of state plates today. Namely Colorado, North Carolina, New York and Illinois plus an Iowa. The Iowa and Illinois maybe just passing through the little town they were in of a whopping size of 420 people but I doubt the others are. Hardly matters if things begin to slow down an influx like we have now doesn't bother me nearly as much as last Summer and Fall did.

I did count four side by sides at one of the local used car lots for sale. Now that did make me chuckle a bit.


I hope the winds do die down tomorrow I need to get back to gardening.


Keep Prepping Everyone!!!



6 comments:

  1. hope you can find the little girl soon
    what is a side by side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. deb - A side by side is one of those little rock climber off road mini jeep looking things that are all the rage right now for off roading. Seems like everyone who bought a house out here recently got one to run around on the roads with even though it is illegal for them to do so not on farm business.

      Delete
  2. Seeing quite a few side by sides up for sale here in Southeast MO as well. Actually seeing more RV's for sale as well come to think of it. Hope you find the stray kitty - if she was a former inside cat, poor thing has no idea what may be out for her, praying she's alright and gets trapped soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plutoh - I just went and mowed my lawn. takes me about four hours with short break in the middle, and saw not even one sid by side or motorcycle at all. Had so many people leaving the area for work this morning that I had to drive 20 miles to a get gas but out here during the day it's almost back to normal...almost.

      Delete
  3. We had a similar incident near where I live out here in the West. Wind and dust are constant companions here, but the farmer was plowing a field during a Santa Ana; a northeast wind that can reach gale and even hurricane force. The dust cloud completely blinded the drivers on the adjacent highway, with predictable results. Common sense on the part of the farmer didn't prevail, and the sheriff had to gently point out the accidents his work had caused. ...You just can't fix stupid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - It is rare for it to get that dry around here for long. The conditions right now are drier for Spring than I can ever remember them being..

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.