Friday, September 15, 2023

The First Day of the Strike and Saving Seed Corn Step 1

 Well day one of the UAW strike did change some things. SO far I went from getting an average of 6 to 15 vehicles a day to maybe two or three. We will see if that carries on. 

I went home early and stated picking some seed corn candidates. My research says I am suppose to allow them to dry on the stalk but they are not uniform in growing additional heads so I am getting corn aged at assorted levels.  Maybe I am suppose to just let em go until October or something so I picked six that looked fully mature and am just going to hang em up and see what happens as I pick and add more to the mix.


 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZptTMtJf9VQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZptTMtJf9VQ

Gonna be a long haul till I find the one I want to grow every year I guess. It appears you tube links are once again not working. I hope the video plays.

 

I did notice the sheep and goats don't care what stage the corn is at. They just want to eat it. 

So I guess we will just have to see how this strike things shakes out or if I will finally start getting some time off for a change.


Keep Prepping Everyone!!!



6 comments:

  1. Homesteading With Jackie Clay is a good blog for preserving and seed collecting>she has great knowledge and info on gardening, preserving etc. Suzy p.s. still looking into the great vehicle debacle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy - PP here. I checked out the site you mentioned and it's lookks very informative and gave me some ideas.. thank you!!! I will keep using it that's for sure!!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, the video plays! I have to say I'm impressed with its quality. You said it's a GoPro? Dan has been talking (hinting?) about one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. leigh - It;s a go pro hero 8. I went with it cause it has less features designed for movement which I don;t need and don't plan on needing more as I get older either so thing like horizontal stabilization and the like seemed wasted on me I just wanted something to practice with at a good price with the most available information. The menu to get it do what I want seems the hardest part so far.

      Delete
  3. It is saving seeds embodies a quiet act of resilience,
    Best Souls Game preserving nature's bounty for future harvests both actions symbolize the strength and hope within communities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That corn is just beautiful! I wish we had a better (longer ) season to grow it consistently here in Central Oregon. Just too short a season here and too dry. There is a couple I follow out of Mississippi that has bred his own type of corn and has a ton of useful videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/DeepSouthHomestead

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.