Monday, September 25, 2023

Save the Wild Plums

 

I can't say this strike is not having an effect I really had nothing to do today except take care of four Mexican vehicles from Saturday and then straighten up my neglected paperwork. Not that I have any problem ever finding plenty of emergencies and sure enough I didn't have to wait long before the last survivor of the  new hires had some kind of appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning and needed the day off.

When I went to visit my boss he was holding his head in his office sweating bullets as the Service Writers are threatening to walk out if he doesn't hire more people. At that time I just said I doubt HR would get pissy about my hours right now anyway so I volunteered to come in and help out tomorrow. If it was OK with him, that is...

He tried to give me Christmas presents on the spot. I should have asked for money lol. I actually was suppose to get my chainsaws worked on tomorrow but I just decided it was better to be useful. There was no way he was going to hire a new porter today that's for sure. Never mind training em and as I have said before those guys got the easiest job I ever remember having when I was their age.

When I got home today the local foragers group was here going through my orchard. I still have four Apples, two Peach, a nectarine - thing (that rarely blooms anymore) and about two dozen assorted Plums and Crab Apples I saved when they started bull dozing the field across from me. The Goats ate one of my Apples and both my Pear trees last year.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out with certainty the Plums and Crab Apples had survived and produced this year as I been too busy to do much with em this horrible year and their brethren are now under about 200 tons of road bed rock I would estimate. I also followed a toad around the side yard protecting him from the chickens last night for a bit so I am fairly confident even the tree frogs survived the new settlements. 

The foragers even wen so far as to go burrow my Apple picker so they could get em all this morning which was fine by me I have been far to busy to harvest anything anyway I was wondering how they were getting on. I think the goats cleaned out my Gooseberry patch though. 

When they were finished I had em come in and pick all the Tomatoes and Peppers they could carry. One lady demanded I give her some Tobacco blooms too. 

I really do need to add more time for orchard care next year when  get a chance though I don't want it to go to ruin before I retire!!! 

 

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Nice to see about the plums. I had a bunch of plum trees that I was originally unsure what they were. Last year I cleared out all but six and was able to prune them up nicely. This year I was extremely surprised when they produce. They have excellent flavor and was a very nice harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy H - There have been a few who have made things with Plums and Crab Apples over the years. Usually with Crab Apples they would add more sugar. One lady always told me Crab Apples were really just Aples that got the short end of the DNA stick I don't know how true it is.

      Delete
    2. That is funny. One of my goals this season is to make crab abble jelly. I have never made jelly before, always made jam, but didnt want to waste the juice. I have had two successful batches and one that didnt set. I am a true believer in the old skils.

      Delete
    3. CH - We used to make Apple Butter alot too but sadly we [wife and I dont do much of that anymore].

      Delete
    4. We make applesauce and apple butter every other year. This year my apple trees that preexisted actually produced good apples. I did the same trimming on this tree to make more room for the berry garden and my wife's fower garden. Every year before they were wormy and tasted horrid. This year they were fantastic.

      Delete
  2. When Alice (one of the original 5 of the cow herd) was alive she LOVED the wild plums. Never knew she could climb trees... well, actually she just pushed them over to eat the plums but it sure did look like she climbed them. They're recovering a bit and I have about a 1/3 of a bucket to work over into jelly. Lots of wild apples this year, too. Conditions were good for them.
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
  3. She demanded your tobacco blooms? You give your fruit and vegeys out of charity I surmise and she demands? I would demand her removal... and in a not so nice way. I do not tolerate and condone rudeness and will respond with extreme firmness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cedrerq - IN a nice way :) Just more like in surprise I still see that often out here so many people think it is still illegale to grow it!!!

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.