Friday, February 10, 2023

No Frogs This Year I guess.

 


One of the little traditions I have always had around here during warm spells in February has been the frog chorus. It was always a grand mixture of probably every frog type around here as I recognized bull frogs in the mix but it was mostly tree frogs I think. We get a bunch of them all Summer long here, or always had before this Spring anyway.

I first grew to expect them back in the 90's as there was an event that happens up in St. Louis about this time I would always go to and it would almost always correspond with a February warm spell.  I would get home and the frogs were always there loud as hell waiting and I would listen to them half the night carrying on.

Not this year. The frogs are gone. My guess is they went with the trees that were destroyed this Winter along with the wetland ditch that was bulldozed out and the ancient old pond that was over there. My hope is the population will come back eventually, maybe I will hear em again, maybe some will migrate over here to my side of the road somehow.

I don't know why they always came out so strong in February and were so loud. I never associated them with any other time of the year but those warm February nights. It is odd when I think about it but I did immediately notice their absence even though I didn't think about it consciously until I was standing outside in the warmth the other night.  

I hope I am wrong but I haven't heard them yet and it's been up to the 70's a few time already easily. They should be out there singing now...but nothing. Only traffic noise.

 

Oh well Life goes on I guess.

 

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!

 

5 comments:

  1. We have the little tree frogs out here in the middle of suburbia again this year.
    It's been rather damp as usual for SW Washington but it is kind of weird now that you mention it, they just started in calling a couple days ago after it warmed up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got above freezing for a few days here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frogs are a good indicator of water quality. Hopefully your issue is loss of habitat not pollution from construction.

    Does your area have a water testing office?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frogs are cold blooded. They're not going to start ramping up until it's warm enough for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about 4 peeper frogs tonight in South MO which is too early. Weather prediction is for 20 degrees tomorrow night and they best get back in the mud.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.