Friday, January 20, 2023

Guilty Pleasures? Why Bother?

 


I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this but it seems to me that since this scamdemic thing and the end of the representative Republic that was once called the United States that it is almost totally impossible to find anything produced that is the same as it was even 10 years ago. Especially consumable items.

On my way home from work the other day I had kinda a sore throat so I decided to pull an old trick I haven't done in years and just picked up a thing of chocolate milk. 

I took one swig of that stuff and wondered why they even bother to give it chocolate coloring. I have noticed the same issue with many junk food and especially sweetened items lately, They taste nothing like they used to. The most outrageous part about it is the die-hard scamdemic believers will than try and claim that Covid will literally change a person taste to try and hide the fact the consumer is now being cheated.

I could give a pretty long list of items I know for a fact have been changed. One product I am sure of was again something from my younger years. Mountain Dew. I stopped drinking ALL soda type beverages back in the late 80's or so when they switched to the high fructose corn syrup. I cannot abide that sweetener in any way. I think it taste like battery acid. I few years back though someone talked me into trying the Mountain Dew throwback and I was amazed. It was like reliving my teen years with every gulp. Then the scamdemic hit and all of a sudden they took it off the shelves again with the excuse of course they could not get the ingredients. When it came back the name had changed and so had the taste once again. It is still better than the corn syrup poison but it is definitely changed.

Sweeteners of all kinds are different now, Crusts are thicker, good ingredients are thinner.

Seems like there was more to the scam part of the pandemic than just making people sick I guess. 

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!

 

 

14 comments:

  1. one of the signs of age. you echo the remarks once made by forebears of how things have changed but not for the better.
    and its true, things are not better. not just food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. deb - I am totally ignoring your comment. It doesn't apply to my universe :)

      Delete
  2. The COVID taste thing is real. A couple of my coworkers had that symptom. My case was the opposite. When I had COVID, my sense of taste was actually ENHANCED. I like cranberry-pomegranate juice. I couldn't drink it. It's taste was TOO STRONG! That being said, I know where you're coming from here. It either doesn't taste the same or it's half its original size and double the price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - Well I don't think I ever got what they call Covid, as I never experienced anything different than I had many times before while being sick but regardless it seemed pretty suspect the times I noticed things changing and how it happened complete with label changes and such. Mostly drinkables that are easier to manipulate without any visual cues too. Particularly anything that used to use real sugar or chocolate in my mind.

      Delete
  3. I too have experienced that, foods just don't taste the same. I don't go to fast food joints anymore, their food tastes like they scavenged the bottom of a Navy bilge tank....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cederq - I also used to like pizza rolls as a snack myself while watching my 80's and 90's movies. I noticed now days they increased the crust on em so much I don't even bother buying them anymore. I went back to popcorn.

      Delete
  4. since i read about the crickets-as-food i am leery of fast food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DONT BLAME YOU!!!! You are now officially allowed back in my universe :)

      Delete
    2. thank you! you should have mercy on my old bones.

      Delete
  5. I’ve heard that it is common for old geezers like you, Cederq and Pete…to gradually lose the sense of taste as you age. Even a young, handsome spring chicken like me … I am noticing it too.
    😊👍

    Back in my prime I used to be able taste the subtle notes in scotch like toffee, citrus, chocolate… and I can’t do it at all anymore. I know scotch hasn’t changed; my favourites are all at least 12 years old…so I know some of it has to be me. Mind you I seldom drink anymore too so who knows? Maybe taste is a skill you lose if you don’t use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Filthie - Back in my prime I didn't care I just consumed the alcohol :)
      Then I figured out I liked it too much and stopped it completely. I have not had an alcoholic drink in over 30 years now. And really it's been more like 35 years but I did not stop cold turkey.

      Delete
  6. I realize I’m late to the party on this list, but Oreos used to be delicious and now they are cardboard. Nothing to do with covid. Producers are changing ingredients to make more profits and goods are losing taste and making us sick and fat.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.