Thursday, October 1, 2015

The State of Small-Hold Chickendom





Well I had planned on putting up a picture heavy post this evening. Honestly I did nothing pretty much all day today as some much cooler temps came into the area and it just felt like the perfect day to sleep in and relax. Mrs. PP stayed home and we went shopping then decided to search the barn for hidden eggs. I took pictures along the way but when I got back in to put them on my computer we discovered she had lost the camera cable somewhere. She claims it is at work but we will see if she comes home with it tomorrow.

My darling wife is notorious for losing anything small so I am not feeling particularly confident we won't be ordering a new cable soon.

I have been suspecting that at least one of the hens started laying recently because of the shell-less egg we got last week and I heard that characteristic egg laying clucking over the weekend but then couldn't find an egg.

Well Mrs. PP found at least one of the super secret laying nests on top of a stack of hay bales in the back of the barn this afternoon. There were three eggs in the nest and since my work schedule pretty much kept me from checking for the last three days I am betting that my new layer theory is correct. Which one of the hens is the culprit though I don't know yet but I plan on checking on them often tomorrow.

I have to say though that the merry band of chickens is starting to really mesh with the place now. They have learned the routine around here and some personalities are really beginning to emerge.

The only remaining Red Sex link, who happens to be the only consistent layer right now, has also turned into the most friendly bird of the bunch. She follows the humans around whenever she can and eats out of our hands. When it's feeding time for the sheep now all the chickens come running from where ever they happen to be to the feed barrels and demand sweet feed treats. The little red hen will perch on the side of the barrel and eat feed right out of the scoop while you are getting it out.

My mother has named her Hennypenny and tucks her up under her arm and carries her around letting her peck out of the scoop while she feeds the rams.

We have also adjusted the evening feeding routine and now put the chickens up a little before sundown. This way we don't get any hens trying to roost up where we can't get to them.

So far no new chicken deaths and only one close call with Rocky and the dogs in almost a month now. The hens rarely come out of the barn still unless I leave the front door open. When I do that they come running but that's when they become prime dog targets so I only do it when I am watching.

Anyway we had a nice casual day today and tomorrow is back to work.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!!


10 comments:

  1. We have had rain every day for a week except one day of sun so the chickens are getting tired of walking in mud around the coop. Wet chickens don't smell good and they keep going out in the rain to get bugs I guess. Until I put up a fence, we had eggs in all directions, it was an easter egg hunt daily. They sometimes went up between rolls of hay to lay then sit to hatch and that is when something would kill them.
    Sounds like you have a good handle on them so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had rain in over a month now and are officially back into abnormally dry rating. Only a small little spot in the entire state but it's getting bad now. I am worried we will start getting eggs everywhere now. The hay bales will slowly start disappearing though so I guess it might eventually correct itself.

      Delete
  2. You mean you dont have a spare preppers rule two is one and one is none :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn - HEH. I never counted the camera as a priority survival tool :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Tewshooz - Rocky agrees with you too!!!! I can't say I am experienced to know but he does look the part. He struts around the barn like a little feathered KING and tries to keep an eye on all the hens at once. I am surprised he continues to actually grow like he has with all the running he does attempting to stick his beak into all the hen's business.

      I noticed the other day he can barely make it through the cattle panel fences and gates now. I may have to cut him some special access holes.

      Delete
  4. Tewshooz beat me to the comment about Rocky but he is a very nice looking roo. I like how he is posing for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobo - He always does that when any critter is around his hens. He steps up and pushes that chest out like he is protecting them.... Until you walk towards him anyway :)

      Delete
  5. We have a whole new batch of hens and they are not laying yet. I would have to check my calendar but I think I have about another month until I can expect anything. I do have two guineas that should start laying in the next couple of weeks.... But that is assuming at least one of them is female. The guy I got them from didn't guarantee sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - I should repost the great Guinea adventure of my childhood. It was one of my most often read posts back before I deleted everything in 2012.

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.