Friday, November 11, 2022

The Hornet Nest Saga Continues and Ends

 


Walked out the door just as it was getting dark last night as the Wife said she ordered a pizza and we needed to go get it. More on that later but this young fellow pulls up in the drive in an old S10 and asks me about the Hornet Nest which you can now see clearly from the gravel road.

First he asked me if I knew it was there which made me chuckle a bit and then offers to buy it from me. I am like who the hell would pay for one of those things? Apparently people do, probably Democrats I am sure using my tax money but I told the guy I didn't want any money for the damned thing and he was welcome to it. 

Well somehow the pizza place said they had lost our order and every other place that serves food was jam packed to the gills. I really hate these people and wish they would all go back to where they came from seriously. I miss the days when every bit of infrastructure was not over run with Karens and their spawn in SUVs.

Anyway when we got home the guy was there. He asked if he could park on the gravel and hop the fence to which I was like why? I opened the gates for him and let him drive right up to the thing, just locked the sheep in another paddock so they wouldn't swarm this guy for treats. I also told him that as far as I was concerned I did not know him or that he was never given permission to be back there if something happened lol.

About an hour later I went into the shop to check on the guy by looking out the window and there he sat in his truck. The drivers side of his Windscreen was now covered in about 25000 hornets!!!! 

They were waiting for him too. Come out they said :)

I yell out the screened in window at him and he rolls his window down a bit and asks me what I thought he should do. 

"Don't get out of the truck would be my advice" was my only reply. 

At this point it was down to about 45 degrees out so I went and opened all the gates again and just told him to drive out and we would see but the hornets abandoned their mob by the time he got out. Trouble is the nest was still laying in the field with the poor guys tools and his cell phone. We waited for a bit and eventually he just decided to go home and come back at dawn when the forecast was for below freezing temps. 

I agreed since I told him I really didn't feel like dragging his hornet killed body over to the new construction site across the road or finding some scrap yard to remove his truck as evidence of a Hornet mob murder spree anyway.  

I saw him pulling off just as I was heading to work this morning and checked later and indeed he had recovered his stuff and the nest as well. So that is one problem and possible adventure I do not have to deal with this Winter thank the Lord.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!

 

9 comments:

  1. Probably his very first hornets nest to capture. I wish that whole show was on YouTube. I'd like to see that Moment when he decided tools and phone don't matter, getting in the truck is all that needs to happen and That needs to happen quick enough that none of those hornets get in with him. I'm surprised he rolled the window down at all.
    You seem like a nice guy, so you probably didn't even giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoG - I was chuckling quite a bit I admit. By the time he rolled the window down a bit the hornets had pretty much given up but were just hanging out due to the cold I think. He was also lucky cause these hornets are the little black kind not the big mean ones lol.

      Delete
  2. Alot of people will pay a few bucks for these, I have sold a couple. Definitely wait for dead of winter to cut them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tickmeister - Ya I wasn't going out to mess with that thing until it below 20 degrees at least. My one experience with em when I was a kid is enough to keep me away from em forever. I did think about wearing two bee suits if I had to mess with em though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story (at that poor guy's expense LOL). Those nests are impressive, and it's rather amazing how they construct them. The last (empty) one we had was ravaged by a skunk. They don't stand up to rain either, after the hornets are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - It was cold enough today I went over and everything was gone as I expected. We had our first totally iced over water day so I am sure the stragglers if any are gone now too. Hopefully it will be another 50 years before I have to worry about Hornets again :)

      Delete
  5. I remember back in my black powder days, I was shooting loads that would burn right through the patches and cause some inaccuracies. If you take a leaf of hornets nest, and packed it between the powder and the patch - the patches came out fine. I'd a thunk hornets nest would burn like the dickens and be incinerated in the muzzleloader but... it worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Filthie. Stories and facts like that make me almost want to get my old Hawkins 50 cal out again. I used to love to shoot that weapon but haven't had it out in years now.

      Delete
    2. You can shoot all afternoon for $10.00! 😊👍

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.