Thursday, June 9, 2016

Swamped... But Here's Some Pics!!!





After seeing the overtime on my check last week the boss worked out a deal were I am now working seven hours Monday to Friday and then the ten hours on Saturday. At least I managed to gain three extra hours to get stuff done around here instead of the six 10 hour days. Hopefully this won't last much longer but the "injured" co-worker is milking it for all he can right now.

Anyway I apologize for not stopping by your blogs and commenting or updating and replying here like I should but getting the first cutting of hay in takes top priority right now because as with most things there are always little problems when the equipment has sat unused for months.




I raked the cut stuff into windrows this afternoon. Yesterday afternoon it was still a bit too green but by this afternoon it was probably a bit over dried. Oh well gotta do what ya gotta do. Yesterday I went and brush hogged the horse pasture again to keep the weeds and the damned Buttercup infestation down. It's coming along slowly.




Not a bad looking hay crop though. The mower knocked down a lot of the stuff rather than cutting it though which sucks. Mostly Johnson Grass and Fescue but still a fair amount of Alfalfa and Clover left in there too along with the broad leaf weeds the sheep love so much. Seems the weedier the hay the happier they are.




You can kinda see why I had so much trouble cutting it properly in spots because the wind really twisted the stuff around and it was not falling over the sickle bar properly but twisting up and getting wrapped around it.  Not much you can do about it except buy a more expensive mower or suffer through and unwrap the stuff from the mower every 20 yards or so.




After putting the rake away and bringing the baler up to work on I had a full compliment of Avian and Feline supervisors hanging around watching me clean the knotters and such. The above cat is named Braveheart and he was from an abandoned litter we had here three or four years ago. We found him a home but the people brought him back because he was too wild so he is just a barn cat now. He usually is only seen during the evening when it's communal feeding time along with the one below.




This is Professor Snape. Unlike Braveheart, Snape is not neutered because frankly with all the strays we get I can't afford to get em all neutered anymore. I just make sure the females are spayed now. Snape is pretty new to the whole barn cat community having showed up this Winter but he often goes out looking for love and only comes back when it's time for easy living bachelorhood once again. Really friendly little guy though.




The four or five Red Sexlink hens were right under foot the whole time. These hens are just drawn to any human activity for some reason. My guess is they are just institutionalized from being kept in the poultry barn all those years and associate humans with food. I am always afraid I am going to drop something on one or run over one or something like that. Whenever I am out doing something that doesn't involve moving equipment it doesn't take them long to show up though.




Just about as the sun was going down I had another interested party show up and began trying to move around me using the newly created windrows as cover so I wouldn't see him. Trouble is he was also looking for love and calling out so he kept giving his location away.




Can you see him hiding in the grass stubble? Here's a hint his black and white head doesn't blend very well but it's pretty small.




Finally he popped up on top of a windrow and called out looking for his hens that were somewhere down in the horse pasture in one of the brush piles I leave for them. I assume I scattered the little covey while raking. Lately I been trying to take really good care of my last remaining Bobwhites. I love sitting out of the evening and listening to the males challenge each other. I been trying to minimize the damage I do to them and leave them areas where I won't mow over the nests. It seems to be working although they have moved further down into the fields than they used to be normally.




So tomorrow is baler time once again. I sure hope the old baler works properly because to be honest I still really couldn't tell you if I have it all set properly. Last year I put a little over 400 bales through it so I am hoping everything is still operating the same. I guess we will see tomorrow evening.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!!


12 comments:

  1. Got to get that hay done but it makes it hard when you have the job to go with it. We don't have any quail around here for probably 10 years.
    I set out some of your tobacco yesterday. They have cut me to 2 days a week so I am catching up on things now that we have some dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sf - I can't wait until next year when I hope I can get back into planting more again and raising some more tobacco. All my hybrid plants have ceased volunteering so I will have to start over but I do have a good reserve of the Small-Hold beans in seed stock.

      Delete
  2. In Arkansas, the patient will do PT then get an MRI after about a few weeks for workers comp. The MRIs don't lie. I'd guess that about 25% of the scans that I do (for workers comp) are people trying to scam the system. The numbers have gotten higher over the last year, I'd like to note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K - Well he swears he took and MRI. I was talking with another co-worker today and we kinda believe perhaps he had been injured before and was jumping on this opportunity to get it taken care of. There is no way he could have been hurt that bad when there was no damage to the car he was in.

      Delete
    2. When we do a worker's comp case, we ALWAYS write a note to the radiologist to "please notate the age of any abnormality." Hence we get more workers comp cases...

      Delete
  3. Yesterday we notice the farmers cutting and bailing around here. my wife was surprised that it was being done. I told her their behind as its been to wet to cut. most farmers do the big round bails around here.

    How can you claim injury when all your doing is driving cars??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob - He got rear ended by someone while he was driving a customers car. Our job is really only about 1/4 driving anyway it's mostly walking to be honest and that it what he is trying to get out of doing.

      Delete
  4. The place is looking sharp PP!

    How are the bees making out...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GF - LOL They are still alive and coming and going. I have been a terrible bee keeper this year to be honest.

      Delete
  5. I'm amazed that someone is doing hay, I tend to forget there is life outside (and different) than all of the fields around us.
    Barn cats... looks like we are just down to one on this end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max - Oh the locals have put up so much hay this last week it's permeated the air with it's smell.As soon as I saw that five day forecast of no rain I knew everyone would be out getting the hay cut.

      Delete
  6. We don't cut hay to store anymore because we don't have the land for it so have to buy in, but Lester does cut our small Far Field but gives it to the cows immediately it is dry. Before we had the tractor I cut the field with a scythe. I loved it. The swish of the blade and the smell of the drying grass is a pleasure well remembered.
    Hope your baler works well and the grass gets baled.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.