Sunday, October 16, 2022

Sunday Reading - Ouch!!!

 

Winter Preps are almost 100% done so far. The damaged water tanks are repaired and placed under new downspouts and I built a little stairstep arrangement in the larger tank so anything smaller than a goat that falls in can climb back out. I am curious to see if ice heaving will be an issue with these softer and more pliable type rubber tanks. They have always worked well with heaters but I have not tried them yet to see if they can also withstand the layered freezes. I am hoping with the wider bell shaped tops they will heave any ice on the top up rather than bust out the sides.

If these tanks are unable to deal with the constant re-freezes we get than my only option might be the straight sided metal tanks and I have seen them bust as well.

I imagine many people may not fully understand the problem I am attempting to deal with here. Someone who has lived on the Southern side of the great plains will probably understand right off though. We are generally warm enough that often times we can go pretty much all Winter without even needing tank heaters for our live stock. In fact many cattle men around here will rely on flowing creeks and ponds or lakes for a Winter water source. This far South seeing even a medium sized pond totally frozen over for long is a rare thing but those occasional Arctic Blasts (formerly known as Alberta Clippers) are a real pain in the ASS!!  

If needed I could probably keep the tanks open enough just by breaking the ice twice a day for the remaining sheep and Goats BUT that would still leave the re-freezing issue. The tank heaters effectively combat the re-freezing but I would like to eliminate the need for electricity entirely  if I can. Hence my renewed interest in Winter water sourcing. I have seen even 55 gallon drums split apart during a re-freeze when liquid gets trapped between layers of ice. 


 

My second Winter prep for this year is switching over from my long trusty and reliable outside wood furnace to my old stored wood stove. I started this project last week and the above picture will explain why I had to drop it for a few days as my finger healed. I bet I am gonna have that scar with me when I go. I probably should have gotten some stitches and even though the cut went to the knuckle the pain even now when I hit it on something is along the finger tip. 

Oh well I hope spirit chicks dig scars too :)

As soon as I could reasonably get back to work and the wound had healed up I finished installing the flu pipe I elected to go 100% non-electric this time around. The theory is IF we enter a 100% grid down situation I want to be able to keep the heat going with out any outside electrical inputs. Including my solar batteries and/or generator which were always my back up plan for the furnace.  I will still be able to place a fan behind the stove ran off my solar batteries if needed and the stove will also allow us a cooking and water heating station in a worse possible scenario case.

Also I am betting I can run this stove on a fraction of my overall wood consumption costs. I got about a three month reserve of firewood for my furnace but I bet it will last all Winter easy if I switch to the stove. Plus the furnace isn't going anywhere if I am wrong.

Hoses are all up. Tank heaters have been brought out and ready to install tomorrow. I got 12 Tomato clones rooting in jars, Seeds all stocked for early Spring/Late Winter sprouting. I think I am about set.

Still have 1 trellis of beans to pick yet though and I will be damned if I did not notice a roof panel on the barn flapping a bit this afternoon. I may need to get up there after this cold snap they are predicting tomorrow blows over. 

It's always something.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!

 

13 comments:

  1. PP, they make a fan that will rotate when your stove heats up as the thermals rise. So there is that at least push warmed air about. I do hope also spirit chicks digs scars, I have a few scattered about, some I can even show... Life on a farm, always something to fix, mend, dig, bury, cook, can. I miss it! It sure focuses your mind on the here and now and leaves precious time to ponder more important and reverent matters and answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cederq - I have been looking at them and the ones that clamp to the flu pipe too along with a thermometer for the flu as well. The flu above the stove kinda bothers me. It looks fine from what I can see but it hasn't been used in almost 30 years. It was double walled insulated back when I installed it in the 90's but no way to really check it without taking up the floor. Of course half it's height goes through out bedroom so I know that part is good still :)

      Delete
    2. PP, my parents have a fan - a steel one that sits on the stove top quite nicely and is driven by the heat. It works very well once the wood stove is up and running.

      Delete
    3. Do you have chimney sweeps in your neck of the woods? They can give a better assessment, or a local wood stove entrepreneur? He might be willing for a small fee check for you if he is knowledgeable or certified. An experts opinion is worth it.

      Delete
    4. TB - Good to see you again!!!! Ya I am planning on ordering one of those fans and one that operates the same way but is attached to the stove pipe. I don't remember seeing those back in the early 90's but I have seen em since I just didn't have a need for em then!!!

      Delete
    5. Cederq - I should prolly look into that, I have never seen one around. The flu itself is easy to take care of I can stand under it and see all the way up to the top cap straight run. I had a cob web brush and several feet of PVC pipe I used to clean it 30 years ago and I used to clean it out whenever it got warm enough to. Never once had even any creosote in it since it was such a clean straight run. The cooling was usually long done before it made it into the main pipe it seemed. Now the 4 foot or so of pipe before getting to the flu itself sometimes needed cleaning.

      Delete
  2. PP, is there any way you can put some kind of compensator in your water tanks to give the expanding ice something besides the walls of the tank to push on when the water freezes, kind of a reverse expansion tank setup? I'm thinking of something like a small pool float weighted so that it's partially submerged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anon - hmmm I cannot think of a way or have ever seen such a device but it is an interesting and effective idea. Maybe I have missed such a thing in the past.

      Delete
    2. Yeah; kinda like the compensator "pillows" used in swimming pools when overwintering the water in them.

      Delete
    3. Check these guys out-their specialty is water storage tank freeze protection:
      https://ramacorporation.com/how-to-keep-a-water-storage-tank-from-freezing-in-winter/

      Delete
  3. ทาง เข้า pg slot auto หรือ pg-slot.game เกมพีจีสล็อต pg สล็อตออนไลน์ 3 มิติ (pg slot auto) จากค่าย pg slot และ บาคาร่าออนไลน์ ที่มาในรูปแบบใหม่เป็นเกมส์ยอดนิยม

    ReplyDelete
  4. UFADEAL เว็บของพวกเราแจกจริงไม่ต้องฝาก ไม่ต้องแชร์  รับกันได้แบบฟรีๆ เพราะว่ามันเป็นสิ่งที่ช่วยทำให้คุณทำเงินได้ แบบเต็มๆเล่นได้ทุกเกมถอนได้จริงต้อง พีจีสล็อต เว็บนี้เท่านั้น

    ReplyDelete
  5. nemo slot jili slot เข้าสู่ระบบ ฟรีเครดิต เว็บไซต์พวกเรานั้นเป็นเว็บไซต์ที่ให้บริการเกมออนไลน์ชั้น 1 ในประเทศไทย ที่เปิดให้บริการอย่างครบวงจร pg slot สล็อต ฝากถอนไม่มีอย่างน้อย

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.