Friday, December 25, 2015

The Muddiest Christmas Day Ever





One thing that can be said for Christmas around here this year, it certainly is muddy. Mrs. PP and I went out to take care of some barn chores early this afternoon and at times we thought we were going to become permanently stuck.

At one point we walked down to the loafing shed because there were several chickens messing around down there and I warned Mrs.PP to be careful or she would get her boot pulled off as we went through the mud gate. Not 30 seconds later I did the very thing I warned her to watch out for. I damned near fell face first into the stuff and almost lost my sock in it as well.

Back up at the barn I moved the last hay bale out of one of the stacks and found 22 more chicken eggs in a secret hidden stash. I then raked up all the loose hay on the ground and put down some pallets in preparation for bringing some more bales in from the trailer out back.

Every other phrase out of my mouth was "Look out chicken".




At least one of the hens is always right there under my feet seeing what I am up to. I am starting to believe they think I am just a big rooster who's job is to scratch huge sections of dirt off for them to dine and scratch around in.




I started up the tractor and the chickens were even following me around on that too. Running in front of me and then attacking the muddy ruts after I passed.

I loaded up the trailer and went and got another 15 bales out of the big trailer and stacked em up. Another five days and we will be taking the ewes out of the ram paddocks so our square bale consumption will fall drastically.

Of course the hens were immediately all over the new stack of square bales as well.




Oh ya speaking of chickens. When we came home yesterday from our final last minute Christmas shopping trip into town the neighbor's Boxer was running around the yard and laying in the middle of the driveway was one of our Rhode Island Red hens dead. Both our dogs were laying on the porch looking rather scared and they haven't made a move towards a chicken in months that I have seen. Still I can't say for certain it was the neighbor's dog and not one of ours that did the deed. I know when I went to take care of the remains our dogs hightailed it for their hiding spot under the porch. It seems like so much that get's broken, lost, destroyed or killed around here only happens when I am not around and left with only questions as to how to stop it from happening again.

Humans seem to be about as forth coming as dogs with answers too I might add.

I was wondering why Mrs. PP hadn't shown back up in the barn yet when I got the hay bales unloaded and  stacked so I looked out and asked her what she was doing standing by the gate since I didn't need to go back out there.

"I'm Stuck"!!! Was what I got in reply :)


I had to go rescue her from the mud. I am very heroic like that don't ya know. I didn't even tickle her or anything why she was trapped.

This may not be the muddiest Christmas day ever around here but it sure is the muddiest I have ever seen it. This time of year the mud seems to stay around forever too.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!



11 comments:

  1. Mud here to and I need to go back out in it one more time to shut up the chickens. Our chickens are protected by the palletsade and an inner netting fence that strangely animals could get through but don't like. I lost chickens until I stopped free ranging them. I haven't been stuck in the mud yet but it may happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sf - Well if the damned hens would just stay on the backside of the fence they could have 20 acres to forage on in safety more or less. I really think it was the neighbors dog that did the deed though as our two won't even look directly at the chickens anymore.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes mud here too. And still it rains. Hope whichever dog is the guilty party is done with chicken killing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - I am sure it will happen again. Mostly the hens won't come through the fence but there are a couple of spots they will. I hope to fix those spots soon.

      Delete
  3. Dennis

    I remember the mud and other stuff in front of the cattle barn. Well moving around in that muck I got stuck and when I tried to pulled out my boot stayed and I had to put my foot into the muck to get the boot back. :)

    Merry Christmas and the best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis - I can't believe I did that after warning the Mrs. against that very thing. I think it was some kind of female karma that got me.

      Delete
  4. We are waiting for our time of muddiness to arrive. It has been a bit late this year, but it will most definitely arrive sooner or later. With the muddiness will come the rising up of the river, bringing possible flooding with it. Not to worry, we have a sunny day today and tomorrow, so best to enjoy the dryness while we have it.
    Good for you for rescuing your lady. And no 'tickling'? Shame on you..... !!!
    Hope you have had a good Christmas so far....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera - It's been great so far!!!

      We should finally be dropping below freezing for more than an hour or so this coming week if the forecasters are correct. A little freeze drying always helps it out a bit.

      Delete
  5. Ah, General Mud....We are in the transition from warmer weather to more winterish weather, so the mighty weather predictors tell us. Ugly humid out today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB - We are suppose to finally start getting some real cold. If it stays frozen long enough I can maybe get the bee hives moved finally.

      Delete
  6. PP,

    Usually it's when were not around when incidents occur regarding our animals. It's as if they wait until that very moment. Sorry to hear about your chicken.
    This is the time of year I dread all the mud inside and outside the house.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.