Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Let's Do a Horse Rant





Ya know it's not that I especially dislike horses, quite the contrary I love all critters in their proper place (except snakes and other vermin like rats and mice etc.). No. What I dislike about horses are horse people. While I am sure, there must be horse people out there who are responsible and far seeing enough to look past their own immediate pleasure and refuse to foist a thousand pound animal (or six) off on someone else when the day comes... I have yet to actually meet one.

And believe me I have met hundreds of so called horse people, mostly Women, over the years. What get's me is very few of them have the common courtesy to admit they are getting old and going to leave a 20 some odd year old horse all alone when they die which no one will want nor can anyone afford to feed but will live another ten years or so.

This isn't a new problem, nor is it one that only I am personally plagued with either. As a matter of fact I was just talking to a guy today who is one year younger than I am and was also unlucky enough to be the off spring of a Horse Person. His mother, who is 70, lost her riding horse a couple of months ago and wouldn't ya know it she turned right around and bought a new one a couple weeks ago for some ungodly amount of course. The horse is like five years old. That means that particular horse will more than likely be around for another thirty years or so. I am willing to bet the horse Woman won't be though.

About this time is where the typical horse person starts spouting off about how great their horse is, it's a champion from the line of super stud and everyone will be falling all over themselves trying to get it.... spare me. Heard it all before. Ain't happening and you damned well know it.

Now for anyone who is thinking that horses are not expensive even to euthanize let me just inform you it ain't cheap and depending on where you live it may not even be legal to bury them either. Unless you happen to have your own backhoe in the barn your talking an hours worth of backhoe service, a vet visit and a tube of the magical elixir (which also ain't cheap). Probably 3 to 4 hundred bucks easy depending on if the vet is in the area or charges you for a visit. All that is assuming of course you can bury it where it falls and don't have to transport the poor thing somewhere.

However, and this is my real issue with the entire thing, the money is NOT the problem. The problem is you selfish horse person you are placing the burden of making that decision off on someone else who doesn't want it and doesn't deserve to be "saddled" with it. Someone who cannot afford the $200.00 a month feed bill along with all the other on going expenses. Now they must choose to kill a large magnificent animal that no one wants or go broke feeding it just so you can ride around once a week or so.

While I was discussing the problem with the other guy this morning he looked at me with a mischievous twinkle in his eye and waited until my Mother was in ear shot to loudly announce that his neighbor had recently found himself in a similar situation. His mother had passed on leaving three horses ranging in age from 12 to 24 years old. He said his neighbor got $500.00 a piece for them at the slaughter auction.

When I started calling each horse five bill number one, number two etc. I think my Mother got the point. Not that I would do it more than likely but I think it's only fair she realize the kinda of issues she is setting me up for some day. I can assure you my brother isn't going to help take care of these nags when it happens.

Horses were once a very valuable commodity and I am sure they will become so once again but there is a lot of road between now and then and a lot of expense that the newer generations are not going to be able to afford.  Personally I feel a horse is more than a pet and anyone who owns one is making a commitment to it for it's life. So please a little responsibility and realism would go a long way in making sure you don't leave that animal an unwanted, expensive orphan in ten years or so.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!

  

16 comments:

  1. Isn't that where the term "Horse Poor" comes from? From having too many horses to feed? I admire the people that can care for more than they can ride but agree that if they can't afford care after they are gone is such a waste. My SWGA area has a lot fo those women that you describe & are starting to 'promote' more riding & caring for them, which I am willing to oblidge the ride/share, just not ready to jump into the feeding & caring thing just yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW - It isn't so much if the horse people can afford it either. While many people over the age of 55 right now won't admit it in almost every case they can afford a lot their kids will not be able to. Pensions are dying, Social Security will go bust etc. You can figure on a horse living to be at least 30 these days so in my opinion no one over 50 should be getting a new horse. Past that point they are more than likely setting someone else up to make the hard choices and I just don't think that is very polite.

      Delete
  2. You could eat the horses. Although I am guessing that your multi-stomach herbivores, like cows, would still be a more efficient method of getting animal protean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russ - Oh there are plenty out there who eat horseflesh. Mostly Europe but South of the border has a good trade in it too I am lead to understand. As I see it though slaughtering a horse would be difficult especially if they are large horses. Killing one quickly would be a toss up and they could do a lot of damage when panicked then the sheer size would mean having to quarter em with no hanging etc. like you would a deer or an averaged size steer. Still if people were starving well I picture that scene from was it "Gone with the Wind" where the lady had the knife in her purse and got her share of the dead horse on the road?

      Delete
  3. The loin is the only part of the horse that is used for human consumption

    If its a decently trained horse it should go to auction in the riding pen first. People will pay. Ive sent a few to auction, because dealing with people is a PITA.esp. some horse people. Horses when left to waste away without a job or purpose - like people become nuisances and behavior problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fjord - I didn't know that about the edible part. Interesting.

      As far as people paying it's a long shot at best at least around here. I haven't checked this year but the Winter of 2012-13 owners were leaving them tied to fences outside sale barns because no one would buy em and they couldn't afford to feed em. The horses I have to deal with here were all ride-able at some point. One still get's ridden maybe every three months or so...maybe. I don't have the desire nor the time to give em a job so they get to spend their time tearing up my pasture even more.

      Delete
  4. Since you appear to be stuck with the animals, at least in the short term, to what use can they be put?

    Are they broke to ride? or possibly to pull a cart? If so, they can probably be taught in very little time to pull a log at a time out of the woods & up to wherever you want to cut the wood. It appears to me that you have to feed them anyway, so if you can use them to save on the gas bill for hauling wood to & fro, why not?

    If they are NOT broke to pull or drive, is there a driving 4-H club nearby? If there is, one of the older, teen members may be willing to teach the animal to drive/pull as a "project animal", for the permission to show the animal at the local fair in at least one class ( a normal project requirement). They may even be willing to help with the feed costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - Oh right now I am not the one footing the bill for their feed. If/when that happens they won't be here long cause honestly I am not going to shell out that kind of money for an animal that gives nothing to me in return. One horse I could understand in a grid down situation but I haven't the time nor the desire to train or work with one. The only reason I put up with them was I promised my Mother she could keep them here until the end. Whomever end comes first.

      If there was a 4H member who wanted the animal they could have it :)

      As I said my biggest issue is that when the time does finally come I am going to have to be the bad guy and make the choice and frankly forcing that on someone is rude in my opinion.

      Delete
  5. Honestly Preppy, I think part of the problem is people are not able to transfer their interest/affection to another type of animal - or maybe don't try. My example is the recent experiment with quail - want chickens, would love chickens, but cannot have them right now. So I have to be satisfied with quail. Wanted sheep, ended up with rabbits. It is all good, I just have accept the fact that I cannot have what I would like and make the best of what I can have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB - Well she transferred alright and got lots of sheep :)

      Sheep I don't have a problem with. No one will think your a monster when you take em to a sale barn. They have a demand for sale and they are not that expensive to take care of individually. Horses are another matter.

      Again my issue isn't so much that if someone wants em and can afford em just that they never seem to do the math and realize when they are 55 or 60 years old and buy a 10 year old horse they are going to force someone to make decisions they shouldn't have to.

      Delete
  6. Wise words I think. When I read the title I thought "I've no problem with horses its horse people" and that's what you've written! They're expensive to keep. Dad always warned me to stay away from horsey women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev - Horse Women are another product of our lopsided economy. Sure there has always been a few around but only the easy energy and fiat cash was capable of producing enough extra salary to allow it to explode like it did. Of course I have seen more crazy horse people farms come and go over the years as they lost money too.

      Delete
  7. One day you will be able to sell the horses by the pound to hungry animal lovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sf - I don't doubt it. Of course as it stands now I could sell em for prolly 500K each and someone would still be losing money I bet. The feed bills are outrageous let me tell you.

      Delete
  8. PP,

    I so understand and agree with your post. The same goes with any animal, one can't assume family or friends will be able to take care of your animal(s) after you leave the world.

    Your friend did what he had to do with his Mom's horses.

    They're organizations in the U.S. who work with handicapped children/people who are looking for tame / trained horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - There are several rescue places even here in Missouri. I haven't done any more than look em up but I wonder if they fill up quickly like local animal shelters?

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.