Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The House Smells Like Pickles





So the bee work and yard work has finally slowed down enough that I was able to find the time to do something I haven't done in over two years now. Make refrigerator pickles.

My son will eat these 24 hours a day and if I can convince the wife to make some salsa and buy about 100 huge bags of chips and cook up maybe 50 quarts of refrigerator pickles the son in question could survive for a month with no other food input but drinks.

Sadly two years ago I was working so much overtime I never did get to make any and last year the drought did all my cucumber plants in before I got enough to make any pickles. This year however my son has been hounding me to make them for him once again and today was the day.

I am boiling the brine now as the jars are all covered and filled awaiting the mixture and then I need to keep my son out of them for a few days. Ya right. I am betting he won't make it longer than over night before he begins stealing some.

I also made up a special jar of skinned Lemon cucumbers to try pickled this year. I made some sweet ones a few years back and they were not anything to write home about but I have never made them as refrigerator pickles before.

An onion and a variety of colored peppers fresh from the garden for extra flavor and a bit of color and they are now ready to ferment over night on the counter before going into the fridge.

The entire house has that pickle smell though so he should be happy.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!


9 comments:

  1. Pickles never last long here. Once a jar is open its gone with in a few days. I enjoy the bread and butter ones the most. My dad did some pickles several years ago. Too heavy on the garlic for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is the big pickle eater but he won't touch sweet pickles at all. Dill and only dill for him.

      Delete
  2. Those pickles sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a son that is a pickle theif. He can't get enough of them. When i make them, he looks at the jars with really big eyes and asks if they are done yet.. yours look delish! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son made it until sometime late last night or early this morning before breaking into them when I was asleep. The little thief.

      Delete
  4. PP,

    Yum pickles!!! I'm the only one in our home that likes them.

    Lemon cucumbers, interesting.....never heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if this is true but I read somewhere the Lemon cucumbers were the original variety that cucumbers were bred from. They grow and taste like cucumbers but are round and turn yellow. They also ripen faster and for me anyway produce more abundantly than regular cucumbers.

      Delete
  5. I like pickles but I have to buy them. There's a store that sells really sour little dill pickles called "gerkins" or something like that. I always keep a supply of those on hand.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.