Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Every Third Day





Remember what I said about every third day being able to actually make some progress around here this time of year? Well I finished up the weekly mowing cycle again today and actually got started on the fence project once again.

Sunday, Monday and most of Tuesdays seems to be dedicated to mowing. I finished up my dad's lawn this morning after work and got the last few strips done at the Small-Hold after that. I looked at my watch and was amazed I actually had a few hours to spend working on the fence.

After shuffling the always in the way horse trailer around and the manure spreader I had to put the blade on the 8N and go to work on a couple of old posts that needed pulling if I am going to get the configuration I want between the barn and out building.




Finally got the posts pulled and I now need to go buy a couple more gates. Since I decided to re-think this little area I pretty much added about $400.00 to the overall fencing project costs but I think it will be worth it.

Oh and why I was out with the camera I snapped a picture of the new rooster. Boy he has it rough right now. These hens have got him cowed let me tell you. I had to lead him out away from the hens and feed him some cracked corn all for himself because the hens were chasing him away from the feed I put out for all of them. However tonight I noticed he was checking to be sure every hen was in the coop as the sun was going down. Not that he could make them go in but he was sure going around making sure he knew where they were.

After the mistreatment these hens had under Rocky this new guy has a tough row to hoe let me tell you.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!


12 comments:

  1. Hopefully he will adjust and figure out the dominate hen and kick her butt and show the rest that he is a rooster. You might want to hold off naming him until it all gets straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sf - I am hoping the freedom he is getting now doesn't go to his head like it did Rocky's. So far so good but I did see him taking a dominance step towards one of the hens today. He is also very good about making sure the hens are in the coop at night even though they ignore him he at least watches out for them.

      Naming is automatic around here. The women folk do it before they even feed em the first time I think :)

      Delete
  2. He sure is a handsome bird. I'm rooting for the new kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GF - I sure hope he works out. I like harmony in the barn yard :)

      Delete
  3. Holy smoke! That's the same damned kind of bird I brought home on Sunday! I guess I at least know what breed he is now. Good luck with your new sheriff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - They say he is an Americuana but in truth he could be just a mixed easter egger. They look similar to me anyway.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps your new cockerel is letting the hens think they can bully him, knowing that eventually they will have to quieten down if they want him to be of service to them.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera - If that is his game is he doing an excellent job of fooling them hens :)

      Maybe they will eventually give in. I mean it ain't like they have a large field to choose from :)

      Delete
  5. Well he is handsome and I'm sure he'll get it together in a few days. Fencing is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - Yes it is and it takes forever to get it right. I will be so glad when I am finished with it.

      Delete
  6. PP - i'm glad that you are finally getting time to complete the fence. that rooster sure is handsome and i think Sherrif Cogburn is a great name for him. jamby caught his first 2 trout yesterday - he gave one to you. check out the blog.

    sending love. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber - Thanks!!! I went by and stole both fishes :)

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.