Tuesday, April 26, 2016
When It Rains and All That
Been a very busy last couple of days. Sunday night I noticed I had captured my first swarm in a trap about 2 miles down the road East of me. I suspect it is actually the swarm that came out of my hive last Friday that disappeared so quickly because it was that very afternoon that this particular trap began being over run with scout bees.
I waited until after nightfall Sunday evening and took the trap down and moved it to it's new hive location.
You can see the advantage to capturing swarms this way in the above picture. I place the bottom board I plan on using when I hive the swarm under the trap. When I spin the entrance disc back open I use the slotted entrance which will let the worker bees out but not the queen therefore I do not have to worry about the bees not liking their new location and it forces the foragers to re-orient to their new location. The next step is to leave the trap alone for two days so as not to upset the newly moved swarm. Inside the trap are two complete frames of drawn comb (Taken from a hive that died out over Winter) this allows the new hive to begin building up and storing food and let's the queen start laying eggs if she is so inclined.
After two days I will suit up and open the trap, remove the frames and shake the bees into their permanent boxes with a full compliment of frames. This limits waste from the bees building new comb from the top of the box and ensures any workers out and about will come back to the right spot.
On my way home from work this morning I noticed I had captured swarm number two in another trap way South of me so I will need to go get it tonight or tomorrow night.
My plan was to move this new hive over this afternoon but Mother Nature saw fit to break our dry spell with a pretty severe storm all afternoon. We got at least an inch of rain I think along with hail, some as large as golf balls and 60+ MPH winds. I also have yet another roof panel that needs fixing now oh and one of the last two hold out ewe's decided to drop her twins as well.
To top it off one of the lambs has gotten an infection on her tail where the band was and I had to take her to the vet and then go pick her back up. They kept her a few hours for observation but finally said she will be fine.
So much for getting any thing done on the fence though and I doubt it will be dry enough tomorrow yet either.
Like the saying goes when it rains it pours. It seems we only have an off and on switch around here sometimes. Either it comes in a flood or not at all.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!!