Tuesday, November 3, 2015
I Admit Defeat on the Fence Project
Today we tried everything we could to get another part of the fence project underway. I had cleared the section and moved all the posts we needed there last week if you remember then got sidetracked putting the baler and rake away and fixing the gateway ruts.
It rained a little bit Friday and I was hoping that would loosen the soil up a little. Back in August when I finished the section in the back of the hay field we had some trouble breaking through the hard clay layer with the post hole digger.
Well today it just wasn't happening at all. No matter how hard I tried pressing down, even with my son helping me the auger bit was not going to break through the clay layer. I even tried removing that layer with the hand powered post digger and I couldn't make a dent. After using almost half a tank of gas and trying the six pole spots we finally gave up.
We are going to need some steady, real rain for a few months before anything short of a construction grade machine is going to bust through that clay layer. Even down six inches the auger bit was turning up dust.
So I switched over to the manure spreader and took another three loads of old horse manure out into the the hay field.
The top few inches of soil is moist enough but under that is rock hard and crumbles to dust when you dig chunks out of it.
Guess the fencing project is now officially on hold more than likely until Spring now. I might start going down and putting a gallon of water in the aborted holes every day for a couple of weeks and see if that will allow us to make more progress but I bet it will just be too cold here soon to matter.
Seems like it is always way too much or nothing at all around here when it comes to rain anymore. Never a nice middle ground at all. I can't believe we went from being 22 inches over normal in July to rock hard dry drought by November.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!