Wednesday, September 2, 2015

An Afternoon Baling Hay





After getting all the other chores done this morning and finishing up cutting the front field it was time to switch into baler mode for the back couple of acres I cut with the brush hog. This was the acid test to see how well this method would work so I could get some hay off the field while rejuvenating it at the same time.

One thing is for certain. I actually knew this going in but using this old Ford square baler on the front field doesn't quite drive home just how slow it is as it does running it down a 10 acre long strip.

You have to go at a crawl let me tell you.




Also you have to remember I have never baled this field before with this equipment and never actually done more than stacked bales on the wagon. Our hay field has a bit of a slope to it and someone way back when worked three berms into it which is good for keeping the water and nutrients on the field but not so good for baling.




I figure I baled about 2 acres which is around one fifth of the field. The final count was 54 square bales. It took about the first 10 or so bales for the baler to start actually making decent bales and I had about five more break on me and had to re-bale them. By the end though I was getting some nice tight and properly sized bales.




This brings my total count up to about 90 bales this Summer run through this old baler.  Making each bale so far cost $21.00 each when you add in the cost of each implement. This isn't including fuel or time either. Yes so far those are some expensive bales. However I now know I can do what was just a theory before and I am gearing up for the big run next week after Labor day. I may in fact get the bale cost down to 10 bucks each by the end of Summer.

The sheep have been doing a number on the over grown garden area.




Another couple of days and I should be able to till it up again.

Gotta go out and get feeding chores done now. I will have more updates on bees a chickens I hope tomorrow. Until then.....

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!!!




11 comments:

  1. Well the tax write-off period on agricultural equipment is five years so you have to amortize your capital costs more than you just have....now I need to go have a lie down and stop thinking like an accountant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ody - LOL well there won't be a tax writeoff on the implement costs anyway as it was all done cash with no receipts. The wife will tell me anything under 3 grand is pointless even if I tried for some reason. She does our taxes and last year I had about that 2 grand in receipts and she said if we used em it hurt us in other areas. All Greek to me though maybe she is wrong but I couldn't tell ya.

      Delete
    2. Unless you have a hell of a mortgage she's probably right, the standard deduction was probably the way to go. But if you had some significant out of pocket on Medical this year (though that is a pretty high hurtle) it might be worth looking into this year as well. Also the lost livestock might be able to off-set some of the farm's income.

      Delete
    3. Ody - Nope no mortgage. No debt period actually. Even with the operation and extended stay at the hospital Mrs. PP had I think we only had to pay the insurance deductible of 2K. We did buy a new outbuilding and that's gonna run us about 10K all told by the time we get it finished.

      Delete
  2. Looks like work to me, makes me glad I'm deathly allergic to the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt - It's surprisingly more work than it looks. Getting the implements hooked up is always a pain no matter how many times you do it and then getting off the tractor and fixing whatever is wrong then getting back on takes more effort than most imagine after you do it like a million times.

      Delete
    2. Yeah wife's dad has 1956 ford power master that his father in law bought brand new. Her dad even has the original owner's manual. Its an 8 series, but I can't come up with the whole model number. He square bales about 20 acres and gets 3 cuttings on a really good year. Sells most of it to local horse owners.

      Delete
    3. Matt - I imagine it's actually a 57 although bought in 56. The workmaster/Powermaster or 01 series tractors started in 57 1954 to 56 was the hundred series tractors. Of all the old Ford (Redbellies) tractors from the 30's into the early 60's the 01 series tractors made from 1957 to 1962 are the best. The 8N is still the most prolific I think and mine is quite handy but my 861 Powermaster is the real work horse now.

      They just don't make things like they did back then anymore. I would keep that tractor in the family as long as possible.

      Delete
  3. Senior and I have been kicking around making the estate a farm. But I need more livestock and got to fence in the entire property. So, we are now thinking of getting goats in the spring, and try to get the farm designation for tax purposes.. I really don't know if it will be worth it though... How is your mom and her little house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JuGM - For just honey sales, some organic produce and a bit of lamb I was making money off this place. Not much but I was in the Black. My mom's Ex had all the stuff and she relied on him to do the haying which really is what allowed us to stay in the black. Now that isn't an option so last year and this year I have been sinking big time money into the place so we are in the red. Of course overall I estimate we have increased the property value immeasurably but since I never plan on selling that actually hurts us too. A farm account is nice when you are buying so much fencing and other supplies though I must say.

      Mom loves her little house. She seems happier than I have seen her in a long time to be honest. Has friends over almost every day too.

      Delete
  4. Looks good, the long term cost will be fine.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.