Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tractor Time Part II - A New Experience For the Small Hold





Today's mini-Project was dedicated to working on the Massy Ferguson Dynaflow 70 sickle bar mower. When we bought this old mower last Winter we noticed someone had removed the factory category 1 attachment pin from the left side and replaced it with a category 2 pin that barely fit through the tube frame. The PTO shaft was also so rusted inside that it wouldn't move.

Removing the category 2 pin was a job let me tell you. I soaked and heated that nut up for weeks before I got it removed. Getting the PTO shaft to slide freely took even longer. I finally removed the entire shaft from the mower and soaked it in a vat of penetrating oil for a couple of months.

After the category 2 pin was out I figured out what the problem had been. The tube frame was obviously set up to take various category pins and used a special factory type pin that all had a category 2 thread size. The hole was about the exact size of the category 2 threads and overall it needed to be longer than any standard pin I could pick up at any tractor place. A simple category 1 pin was loose in the hole and no where near long enough either.

While browsing around Tractor Supply I noticed they had category 2 to 1 tube shims and some of those lock rings that are held in place with the hex screws.




So the above was my solution. I used an extra long category 1 top pin in place of a bottom pin, fitted one of the sleeve shims into the tube frame and locked it in place with two of those pressure hex pin lock ring things. I think all the parts cost me about 20 bucks.




The test swath I cut looked pretty good too.  I was actually amazed the entire thing worked to be honest. I was expecting to run into yet another issue that would keep the mower from working. The teeth surprisingly appear to still be sharp and once I got my ground speed/PTO speed worked out it cut really well.

The plan is to use this mower with the 861 diesel actually but the 861 is still trapped inside the barn due to the slowly draining lake in front of it's entrance door. Another couple of days and perhaps I will be able to get it out.




Here's the 8N in sickle mower mode. All I need now is a rake and square baler and I am in business!!!

Oh ya and for the first time that I can remember.......

Every piece of equipment on the Small-Hold actually works. Not one thing is broken or in need of some form of ethnic engineering to work right now.

At the moment I have 2 riding mowers, 3 push mowers, 2 tractors, a 3 point tiller, 2 brush hogs, a sickle mower, 2 generators and a log splitter that all work perfectly.

May not sound like much but to me that is an amazing accomplishment. I don't think I have ever had every piece of equipment all operational at one time before.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!


14 comments:

  1. DUDE!

    you get an amazing amount of stuff working - no small accomplishment at all - BIG success - glad you found an adapter and everything is working - good on you and hip hip hooray!!!

    so there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamby - Thanks!!! I ended up having to use a top pin instead of the type that takes the swivel pin lock so it isn't as sturdy but should work I hope.

      Delete
  2. That is good that everything is working, I am not sure I have ever been in that position here or if it is even possible but you have given me some hope.
    I saw one of those front tractor grill guards on craigslist and the guy had a bumper hitch welded on the bottom of it for towing backwards. Looks like it might be home made.
    http://roanoke.craigslist.org/grd/5088917155.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sf - There are a number of home made ones too. In fact I thought about just having the welder down the road do that to the grill I have. Probably would be cheaper overall.

      Delete
  3. If I were to say such a thing half of the machinery on this farm would go on immediate strike. You're brave. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jewlz - LOL believe me I thought of that outcome before I wrote the post. That's why I neglected to mention the broken down old manure spreader.... Ya that's my story... :)

      Delete
  4. Knocking on wood for you! That's quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HG - I really didn't think I was going to get that mower working today honestly. I was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  5. For sure some bragging rights in having all that equipment running at the same time, seems something is always needing fixing. Oh and I will get right on finding some tractors to photo with ROFL ROFL.....just as soon as I get caught up on all my other work LOL. That's me just no focus at all. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texan - I could loan ya a tractor!!!

      Or two.

      Delete
  6. That is a big accomplishment. Congratulations! My wife calls the stretch of driveway by the shop, the 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - LMAO. I have to use that comment in today's post. Had me chuckling all afternoon as it is what my wife thinks of my little row of old "stuff" as she puts it :)

      Delete
  7. Reading your tractor posts with new eyes. We finally got our real farm tractor, a Ford 861. Needs a little work but it runs! I'm hoping to get a blog post up soon. Implements will be harder to come by since most folk around here only use brush hogs. Still, it's a huge asset for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those pins with the locking hex, they save me from having to get off the tractor several times a day to reset it. Our tractor is similar to the one that you have, except I am pulling a heavier load in the end. Those pins are constantly breaking from the weight and bouncing around the farm soil and grounds.

    Heidi Sutton @ Ag Source Magazine

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.