Thursday, June 25, 2015

Been A Couple of Bee Days





Sorry I been kinda quiet the last couple days. The extended hospital stay meant I really neglected my hives longer than I should have. That and I now have relatives screaming for honey.

I had some new upper entrance tops to add on here and there, a couple of hives that needed checking for pest problems and about five that I thought might have some honey to harvest this early. As it turns out only one of the five really had any honey frames capped. The others are quite full of honey but due to the rains and humidity they haven't gotten the moisture content down enough to cap it yet. The queens are also way up in the upper supers laying eggs still. Another couple of weeks and I imagine they will be pushed down into the brood chambers once again.

The Sunflowers are now beginning to bloom!!! The working girls LOVE sunflowers so I thought it fitting to snap a picture of one.




Since I managed to harvest six or so frames of honey I will be spinning it out this evening. The heat wave we been having sure has made things uncomfortable but the temps are just about perfect for harvesting a little early honey to satisfy the screamers. I think my Mother has been making some promises of honey as well to all her friends cause she is has been nagging me about making a pull since we got back from the hospital. This means getting all the harvesting equipment out and cleaning it up, then waiting for it to dry before the real work begins.

Reader John Lien made such a wonderful comment on the last post I been chuckling about it all afternoon. He mentioned his wife calling the driveway next to his workshop the "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" due to the equipment and such that sits there needing fixing.

It was just so appropriate I had to go take a picture of my little growing lineup of stuff.




That picture doesn't include the tiller, the homemade carry all or the manure spreader (which is going to require some real work) in fact I didn't count the Manure spreader in my last post either because I forgot about it. I got so tired of mowing around that stuff I let the sheep eat around it, as you can see, to keep the grass down. I just had to take a picture since his phrase kept me so entertained. I guess I lied cause we all have those projects we hope to get done.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!


14 comments:

  1. Jealous sir. I miss bees, although back in the day we would never have a harvest this early - always had to wait until Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB - Harvesting this early is a real pain. You have to hunt through the frames and take what is ready and then make sure you leave enough for the larva and such. I only do it to stop the screaming actually.

      Delete
  2. But ... your pile of equipment is so neat & orderly. Very much appreciated. I bet your Mother HAS promised honey & waiting to deliver. We can tell that our neighbor is getting ready to harvest soon as well. He has all of his equipment washed & drying in the sun the past 2 days. Good luck with the harvesting ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW - Ya I know she has promised more than I can deliver right now :)

      Delete
  3. i love all of your neatly and organized equipment. and i am glad that you got to spend some time on your bees - it's always great to learn what you are doing with the bees and why. but forget relatives (otherwise known as ingrates - bahahahah!) wanting your honey - ALL UR HONEY ARE BEELONGS TO ME!!! (never gets old buddy - never!)

    sending much love and healing prayers for Mrs. PP! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber - if it wasn't for that damned shipping liquids over the border thing.

      Delete
  4. Well there is all the stuff that should be running which is I think what we get excited about when it does run and then there is the stuff that is just sitting around that isn't really suppose to run but is a dream of one day working to where you don't think about it except if it is in the way. I will say that when I buy things without motors, such as a scythe or some such cutting tool, it saves time in the long run because I just pick it up and use it without having to tear it apart to get it to run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sf - Muscle power is where we are gonna end up eventually anyway :) My implement and tractor purchases are just my way of hoping to survive the decline as long as possible until that eventuality.

      Delete
  5. Broken down stuff is just treasure waiting to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SD - and something for the wife to use against you though .

      Delete
  6. PP,

    Is that a "Field of Broken Dreams" then?

    I can imagine you have a lot to work on since being at the hospital. It seems the work never stops......I think we both know this :-)

    Your bee's will love those large sunflowers. Still waiting for mine to bloom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - I am still so far behind but catching up a little.

      Delete
  7. I don't have too many broken-thing projects, but I have more than a few best-intention stalled ones,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russ - Ya we all have a few of those don't we?

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.