Saturday, April 25, 2015
Saturday Catch Up - Corner Posts and Carryall Tailgate
The last two days have not been especially cooperative with getting a lot done outside. It's been spitting rain until today when it actually rained hard a few times. Yesterday the wind was just cold enough and blowing hard enough to give me an earache but not quite cold enough to wear my fuzzy hat with the earmuffs.
My goal was to get the horizontal support boards cut and in place, pound in the metal T-posts and stretch out the first 60 some odd feet of woven wire today. I didn't quite make it. This section of the fence project is actually going to be the most labor intensive as it requires two corner posts and four gate sections. I have combined a couple of corner post supports in with the gate posts when I could and elected to go with what I call the H pattern of support posts. After everything is in place I will come back and lop the vertical posts off at uniform level.
Keep in mind I have not put in a corner or gate post in about 35 years either. I was a bit rusty ont he first few wedges I cut.
Ouch that one is a bit ugly. I can do better chainsaw work than that.
Ok a little better. I am sure I can get it even tighter with a little more practice.
Now that's a proper wedged in support beam, more or less. I still have a bit of a gap in the very back but I can live with that one.
When I get this section finished it will encompass the entire North and West sides of the barn and have gates that go out into the drive way, garden, West section of pasture and the hay field plus one walk in gate near my wood pile for curing. It also encompasses one of the Ram paddocks but when I start working on the East section of fence that paddock will be moved. The entire thing will cut my current mowing area down by about 1/3rd and by allowing me to just let the sheep out there when it needs mowing. This will be huge as mowing takes up so much of my time during the Spring and Summer months. It will also allow me to load and unload from the stock trailer in a relatively enclosed space in case some wayward sheep decide to make a run for freedom.
After getting all the support beams in place I was ready to begin stretching the woven wire when the real rains hit. Kinda put an end to my fencing work for the day which was alright as it was time to feed the bottle lambs. The rest of the afternoon ended up being wave after wave of rain with short periods of sun between them. Prime honey bee swarm weather actually but these kinds of storms are about two weeks too early. I am a bit concerned about that as it may mean we go into the dry period too early as well.
In between rain storms I worked on the tractor carry all a bit more and designed a satisfactory tail gate for it.
I had to bend some hinges I had and install them under and then used eye-hooks and a bungy cord to hold the gate in place. Simple and easy to repair if the cord wears out and it holds no matter how much bouncing around I do. All that's left now is a nice paint job and adding more tie down points to secure whatever I am hailing around the place. The entire project cost me about $35.00 and most of that is in the extra cat. 1 crossbar I had laying around. It's also given me an idea that I may make another one only custom sized to haul my electric motor cement mixer around with a small generator. Never know when that might come in handy.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!