Sunday, April 6, 2014
So Far No Good
Yesterday after removing the comb from inside the exposed cavity, or at least as much as I could and attempting to save what little brood comb remained I felt my plan might possibly work. Before I left the site there were a ton of bees coming and going into the box I set up there and I was hoping it was close enough and using their own comb they would consider it as just an extension of their own hive.
Well today it doesn't look as if my plan is working. You can see how I went about the attempt from the above picture nailing up the support boards across to the smaller tree and then placing the trap up there with it's entrance almost inside the cavity of the old limb. There is still a bit of comb left hanging that was in some grooves inside the tree but I didn't think it was enough to entice the girls to stay.
What you see in this next picture is all that dark just above the 2 x 4 support board are bees clinging to the top of the cavity. By this afternoon/evening they coated the entire inside of that cavity as well up almost to the end.
There were no bees coming and going from the box I put up there s it doesn't look as if they are accepting the box with the brood comb I saved as part of their original cavity.
I didn't bother opening the box up to see if any nurse bees stayed on the comb. It could be that maybe I left the brood exposed too long and it got chilled or something.
So tonight I tried plan B. I climbed up there and put a Q-tip of Lemon Grass oil into the trap box in the hopes that it might mimic the queen scent and entice the bees into the box. It might also lure the queen from the cavity (if she is still alive) into the box to kill her rival.
If the Lemon Grass oil doesn't work I guess I am going to have to attempt to get em with a bee vac but I know I am going to have to buy more hose and I don't know if I will get enough suction that high off the ground either.
These girls are just not cooperating....
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!