Friday, January 10, 2014
A Little Ethnic Engineered Recovery
The recovery from the Arctic Vortex or whatever they are calling that thing continues. I think I finally got the new pipe situation straightened out completely today and managed to stop the last remaining pesky drip. The connector that took the line from the copper to the pvc would get a small drip forming and it would take that sucker close to 10 minutes to actually drip and it was driving me crazy trying to get it to stop. I would tighten the thing and then have to wait forever to see if it worked.
It seems to be stopped now but maybe I just went from a 10 minute drip to a 20 minute drip.
My next task is wrapping the pipes with heat tape once again and besides my accompanying heat lamp I am going to add a remote thermometer to the set up and place the readout next to my computer. That way if the temp gets below say 35 down there I will have warning and can fire up the salamander or whatever is needed to keep the basement above freezing.
I have also removed the duct just below the main blower for the wood furnace. I have the furnace blowing into the duct work but it doesn't end up going down into the basement so I am going to use the now empty hole for a warm air transfer I can run with a small electric fan. This should allow me to transfer a bit of heat directly into the basement. Whether it will be enough or not is the big question but I did have fun designing the thing.
The door is an entire different problem. I am not sure if the foundation shifted or sunk slightly to throw the entire frame off square. There are conflicting theories as to which one happened. I added an extra floor jack some time ago and it didn't help the situation so my next move is going to be to just rebuild the entire frame back out to fit a smaller door. If I could I would just remove the problem all together but that isn't really an option. The door and frame were never built to any kind of modern day standard anyway. I believe I got the shifting stopped some time ago but I doubt there is anyway to correct it back so a whole new installation is more than likely warranted.
It warmed up considerably today making it up into the middle to upper 40's without even a hint of sunshine to help. All clouds and rain. I did manage to get the wood furnace cleaned out but I didn't let it burn out completely to do a complete ash removal. Hopefully that will come tomorrow when we see the sun and maybe some temps in the 50's.
I still have about a cord or so of burnable firewood left and about two cords of stuff needing to be split. I was going to split it up today but the rain kept me from it so splitting a load is top on my list for tomorrow. Hopefully by Sunday it will be warm enough to check the hives for losses and add some more sugar feed and dry enough to cut another load off the trees I have felled already.
We are approaching the lean times now so a nice warm break is just what is needed to get everything restocked for the final push through of cold weather. Of course at this point I still do not know if the hives survived the Arctic Vortex or not. I need to get a handle on losses and take an inventory so I can get started on the woodenware I need to build for this coming Spring and Summer growth.
Until I know if I have loses or not that is going to be top on my mind.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!