Tuesday, May 14, 2013
The Garden is Finished - Day 3
Next I had to stop and check out the last section which had a number of volunteer sunflowers already sprouted. I transplanted the volunteers to various row ends then tilled that section up and put in some very widely spaced rows of.... wait for it.... Sunflowers. Talk about redundancy :)
Really I wanted to save the volunteers and the new rows I put in are way too wide I just put them in for the bees and finches. What I really have in mind for that section is hauling in a few more loads of horse manure and some pond dirt I plan on dredging out. I figure if I burn up a Sunflower or two I won't be upset.
I have one last section that is empty but tilled up which will be for my tobacco seedlings. I need to go purchase four more tomato plants because I made more row space than I had tomatoes. Not a big deal I usually like to shop for a variety I don't have anyway so I count what I have then round up when I make the rows and and place the trellis posts.
Some of the areas I tilled when the ground was still too wet is showing why you shouldn't do that. The wet clumps have hardened into dirt cannon balls. I had to go over a few sections again to break them apart.
Since I was outside gardening all day I haven't a clue what has happened in the world. We could have had a collapse and I never would have known it!!! I suspect we didn't since I think it would have been all over before I sat down to write this up. The rains are suppose to start again tomorrow and I am waaaaaay behind on the mowing now due to the garden planting.
It just never ends.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!