Thursday, November 29, 2012

Range Day - Testing the .38 cast Boolits

Today was such a nice mild day and with deer season over I figured it was the very best time (being a weekday and all) to sneak off to the range and play a little bit.

My main purpose was to test out about 50 or so rounds of my Small-Hold cast and hand loaded .38 cartridges I have been pressing out. Of course I know I am not the best handgunner that ever picked up a side arm. I would be willing to bet I rank in the bottom 20% in accuracy if you want to get right down to it. I just never have been very good at pistol shooting. It was pretty routine for me to have to take an extra go of qualifying with my issue .45 back in the day as well.

Yes I am hanging my head in shame as I confess this. Outside of about 10 yards I wouldn't even bother pulling my sidearm out but inside that 30 foot zone barns and outbuildings across the world know to steer well clear of me :)

I used a low charge HP-38 powder and put a nice deep crimp in the .38 rounds and they performed admirably. I was actually hitting paper even at the 50th round so leading wasn't an issue apparently. I usually accomplish hitting paper by aiming at the very bottom Right hand side of the entire target paper. This usually results in a round penetrating the paper somewhere above and to the left of my aiming point. Ya I am that bad but I can almost always hit the silhouette using this method so I still feel a pistol is a good home defense weapon for me.

I call it the PP Pistol Zen shot method.

Before someone mentions that I should adjust my sights I would also like to point out I have tried and no pistol sight has ever been able to adjust to my bad aim.

So the new experiment in sustainable bullet casting was a success which will greatly facilitate the hand loading of the other four coffee cans of .38 brass I have stored in the shop. This should cut my overall cost down considerably as well since the price of casting these bullets is pretty low.

I will write a full report on how much leading I actually find in the barrel after I give my .357 a good cleaning this evening. I got back a little late and need to get dinner started so the pistol must wait a few hours which shouldn't hurt it any.

I will also catch up on comment replies afterwards.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!

8 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of those sites on my Ruger. One of these days I'd like to trick out my GP-100.

    They're built like tanks, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt - I have no idea I have never even handled a GP-100. Don't think I have even seen one up close.

      But they look really nice in the pictures :)

      Delete
  2. It takes a lot of practice to become proficient with a handgun. Back when I was a teenager I had a Ruger mark II and it took several bricks to get where I could consistently hit a soda can at 25 yards. It took hours and hours; of course thoroughly enjoying it helped. Then over winter when I was busy with school the skill would fade. I doubt anyone gets really good without devoting what I would now consider way too much time to it.

    Best,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan - I was always content with being able to hit a mansized target within 30 foot myself :)

      Delete
  3. I used to be awful, but I have gotten a little better. I am much better one handed, one eyed though - especially in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russ - I am thinking one of those really sawed off shotguns might be a good investment when lawlessness hits instead of a pistol :)

      Delete
  4. i have lousy aim..and bad timing too...which just goes to show that folks need to just stay outta my way when i am armed...never know, i might just get lucky with a shot or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL me too. Spray and pray. I figure once they get inside that zone even I could hit something.

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.