Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Pretty Much Done with Gopro

 

I just spent hours trying to take some video of my Gray hen running around. Not sure how long I wasted hunting her around in the garden, where she likes to hang out, until I finally got some video of her then wasted more hours trying to get the video of her off the stupid camera and on my PC which included the removable of a door to get access to the cord port and now wont go back on no matter what I try. I am so done with new technology unless I can find a tutor  When I try and put the door back on it feels like I am going to break something and the menu on this thing feels like it was written by aliens. 

I will just never understand why they do things like they do these days, everything seems so fragile and counter intuitive as a minimum.

I am now shopping for a much more user friendly form of video device for use around the farm. If you know any plz give me a product name to look into cause this GO Pro stuff is for the birds.

I admit the planets seem to have aligned for once otherwise I wouldn't even be writing this. Somebody finally got the hint that vehicles were not selling and put a big slowdown on the loads I was getting in every night. I finally finished my weekend load up Tuesday's morning and managed to find a day available for help and without rain yesterday and got the new roof hoisted up (with some horizontal stabilizing help) to the goat house plus trimmed to size on a DAY OFF!!!! I actually got a day off this week.

For three nights in a row now the gray hen as stopped hiding from me and went into the coop by herself without demanding I track her down either. I still don't know precisely where she is hiding her eggs now either but I am sure I will figure it out.

I also got the goats locked into the Winter paddock and can now let the sheep out to better get grazing while it gets cold and force the goats to eat more on the over grown garden area. Which they have been kind lax on the last few weeks. All the water tanks are emptied and cleaned for the heaters I started running the electric for as well. I may even get some trees cut if my work/time requirements don't increase again.

Things are looking manageable again.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!



11 comments:

  1. I thought gopro was just IT, and loved by all until a YouTube guy named Casey LaDelle explained otherwise. I'm sorry I can't find what he uses, but if you dropped a question in the comments on a new video, you'd probably get it answered
    https://www.cascadeheavyrescue.com/

    There is a phone number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin = I will check out that link!!! Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Found a video on their channel that might be what you want - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4fH4tQHJI&ab_channel=CaseyLaDelle

      Delete
  2. I hear you about the latest and greatest technology. It just gets more and more complicated and with less and less longevity. I can't tell you how many trail cams we've gone through.

    No clue about video equipment. They all seem to have pros and cons and they all seem to have a steep learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - I been looking at a Soney cz-p1 recently!!

      Delete
  3. I have a GoPro on my GoPro Karma drone. I've had the same issues with it. As long as it's in the drone everything's fine. I turn on the drone, and the camera comes up with it, and is controlled by the remote. Trying to use it as a stand alone camera is another story. Its operation is NOT intuitive. I don't have issues with the door, but have had problems attaching the USB cord in the past. It's definitely a geek toy made by geeks FOR geeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - I don;t know the GOPro is proving far too complicated for my needs thats for sure...

      Delete
  4. You are very welcome. If you don't get the information you want from posting in comments, the phone number is there. That guy rescues people for free alot of the time. Very nice man. If whoever answers doesn't know what camera equipment Casey uses,I'd ask if they would give him your number, and I'm betting that guy will call you. He's given honest reviews on equipment someone sent for him to evaluate. Lost them as a sponsor, because he isn't going to promote anything he doesn't honestly like.
    I wish I could remember his choice of equipment,, but then, I'd like to remember what I had for breakfast,, so,Mehh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi PP,
    Mad-keen photographer here. Not sure if this option is what you want - I use a Sony FDR-AX53 camcorder to shoot my videos. Really easy to use, shoot beautiful 4K and you dont need to muck about with LUTs and flat profiles to get "good-enough" footage. Downsides are they are NOT an action cam - ie not waterproof, shock proof, auto horizon levelling, streaming to your phone etc etc. They just work like an old school camcorder. Point, frame, push record & excellent built-in stabilisation - the results are usually brilliant. Take a full-sized SD card, so easy to transfer to your computer to edit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALSO - audio is about 2/3rds of what makes a video watchable. The golden rule is get your mic really close. A camcorder MUST be able to take an external mic (and ideally let you plug headphones in so you can monitor your sound). The Sony AX53 has a good built in mic, but get one of the Rode or DJI wireless mic kits and you won't believe how good your videos become.

    I know its a LOT of mucking about, and may not be worth it for what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally - try your smart phone. The built-in camera is usually good enough but there are apps like FilmicPro if you REALLY want to get the best out of it.

    My wife uses her iPhone to make amazing little stories out of our adventures for her website & our "family page" on "TheBookofFaces". I truly hate using the phone for this because it is a massive PITA to get the footage off to my computer to add into my video projects. The newish iPhones are all waterproof and very tough for most things so they almost are pocket GoPros without the quality problems. Their native sound capture is pretty good too but can be enhanced with wireless mics like the camcorder.

    Anyway, apologies for the wall of text responses - but I hope this might help.




    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.