Sunday, May 14, 2023

Sunday Reading - Gettin There

 

Turned out to be a hot one this weekend. By Friday they were predicting 90+ degree highs and storms all weekend. They were right about the temps but luckily the storms have held off so I managed to get most of the garden built. I elected to not transplant anything yet although all is ready to go in as they are now forecasting much milder temps for this week. Looks like all my melon plants survived the great flip but I am allowing them to heal an extra day or so along with the various tomato seedlings I have ready to go. As long as they are growing and so small yet I see no real reason to roll the dice yet as these storms can still get pretty rough for another month or so. After the last week in May I generally don't have any issues so I usually hold off on seedling any transplants until well into May anyway. Direct seeding like with the corn, potatoes and the beans I finished this weekend because I don't concern myself with much as they survive no matter what get's thrown at them. 

I am only doing one trellis of beans this year to keep the seeds going as I still have three buckets full of beans from last year in storage. I need to figure out what I am going to plant in the other trellis areas but one trip to a nursery will take care of that easily. 

One thing on my list for this year are extremely hot peppers. Generally I don't grow peppers because personally I dislike every kind of pepper. I will not eat them hot or mild. I would grow them because my son loved em but for myself I think they are just flavor imposters and thieves and dislike them however my co-workers finally guilt tripped me into growing them this year. I always grow and take fresh veggies and fruit in for my coworkers but there is a segment that always feel left out and that has been the pepper lovers. I promised them I would grow some for them this year and since like every other American they claim to love hot stuff (which I don't at all) and I have had to suffer through their overly hot free food offerings for years I figure I owe them.

Anyone have any suggestions for readily available at nursery pepper varieties I can buy this week? The hotter the better.

I still have a small strip of the garden to mulch in yet and one more trellis for my new Tomato addition but everything else is built. I do have another small section for pumpkins to cover yet but I don't put those in until Mid-June or later cause I always like to have pumpkins growing for October. 

I will have all the seedlings in by Saturday I imagine just in time for Shearing day next Sunday. Now that I only have a few retired old ewes left I don't bother to schedule shearing at all but wait until my old shearer guy calls to tell me he has free time to do it. He is a very busy man in the Spring and has much larger clients to worry about especially those who are tending birthing ewes so I let him be.  Once shearing is out of the way and garden building/planting it will weed control and grass cutting for me now heavy until July or so but my weed killing so far has also seemed to pay out in droves since last year. My hay is already over knee high in two of my fields.

Anyway I probably would have gotten the garden completely done but the rains finally began about an hour ago so I decided I had gotten far enough. I am right on time so no pressure to push things right now. The sheep and goats are right there cheering me on as they can't wait for snack and treat season to begin.

 

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I suggest you DON'T go overboard with the extra hot peppers.

    People talk about loving heat but in my experience, most are NOT Chili heads and are apt to be blaming you for burning their faces off.

    Habaneros are hot enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not nice deb. When I cook with scotch bonnet (rarely) I wear gloves, eye protection and use a tiny bit minced without seeds and the inner white pith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never even heard of that kind of pepper. Who would think a Scots pepper would be that spicy :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.