Sunday, August 7, 2022

Sunday Reading - Got Milk?

 

I am NOT Lactose Intolerant by any means. My milk digesting ability was infused in my European DNA some few millennia down it's origin chain and it has never suffered so much as a pause since then.  As a child I was a huge milk lover and even well into my 20's I remember craving it at least once a day but something kinda changed in the 1990's. I started developing a mild reaction to Ice Cream and especially Milk Shakes or Malts.

This was a bit distressing to me and at the time I accepted the explanation of many so called experts who explained that lactose intolerance can build up and shows it's ugly face as one ages. 

As time went on though certain things began to totally NOT make sense to me about this however.

For one thing my Grandfather would not touch milk of any kind unless it was straight from the cow. By that I mean none of this sissy Homogenized/pasteurized stuff, he had to skim the cream off the top or he wouldn't drink it. My father was the same way when I was young but when my Grandfather passed on waaay back when the family kinda lost our illegal milk connections. I haven't seen my Dad drink milk since but here about 15 years ago or so I ran into the guy who was the son of the guy who used to be my Grandpa's milk pusher and I managed to score some non treated straight milk. 

By non-Treated I really don't know what is done to it at the source these days. I have never any closer to a dairy operation than watching my neighbor call in his cows years ago. This guy sold me the closest thing to straight milk that could be had back then, it may not be the same you can get now though for all I know.

Anyway I was curious and not only did I drink that milk (and Cream) I had someone make me some ice cream with it and guess what..... Not so much as a burp for a reaction. Yet if I so much as take a drink/bite from any store bought ice cream or milk shake I will be suffering from the so called lactose intolerant side effects before a full day is out.

Of course these days lactose intolerant diary products are almost impossible to stay away from. I have been forced to partake of them occasionally over the last few years and lo and behold the so called lactose intolerant items actually make me react worse the more intolerant they supposedly are.

Yet I can consume straight milk with the cream still floating on the top without so much as a hiccup?

I have to be very picky about dairy these days but my experience and bit of research into the topic is proving to me it is not the dairy but something that is being done to the dairy products these days. I have written down and researched ingredients, searched for hours for some hint but the entire thing seems to be a hidden agenda the more I look. I can find all kinds of articles and facts about Lactose Intolerance but nothing about why or how these anti-Lactose ingredients or methods will effect those who generally have no issue with Lactose.

Seems very strange to me.

Also it stands to reason that I once again have to deny myself yet something else that is changed for the greater good of a diverse population. As usual the diversity never seems to include me in it's definition.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!

And Hoard Milk :)


17 comments:

  1. Like the Gluten "Intolerant" with mankind thriving on wheat and Milk for eons, you *might* be allergic-reactive to the roundup (yes even found in milk).

    I mention this because I've had friends "Become Allergic" to milk and or wheat and do just fine with the non-roundup-organic older style grains and family dairies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael - Thing is I am not allergic to milk. I can go in and drink however much plain milk (or even chocolate for that matter) I want and not a problem. But if it says lactose free milk it will make me sick. Used to be I could find some premium ice cream I could eat but it seems these days even the high cost stuff is laced with something.

      Delete
    2. So, your allergic to something not natural they DO with the milk product.

      As others have already said, get a Jersey cow. Your ice-cream will be the wonder of the area :-)

      Delete
    3. Michael - LOL you don't know how tempted I am. If the neighbor still ran a dairy barn I would be over there in a second :)

      Delete
    4. We have made our own ice cream. Used to make it a lot and it never effected me only bought Ice Cream effects me.

      Delete
  2. I somehow missed that you were blogging again. I'm glad you're back!

    I agree about raw milk. It's absolutely superior to the commercially processed stuff and is why I keep goats. I think it's the ultrapasteurization that they use nowadays that makes milk undigestible. I know ultrapasteurized milk can't be used to make cheese, because the fast high temps severely alter the protein molecules. But it increases shelf-life and that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - Good to see you I should have stopped by and let ya know I was back around. I agree with the raw milk but even the treated stuff I drink does not effect me at all. It's the so called lactose free dairy that kills me. I must be allergic to what they using for lactose free but no one will even admit they do that. If ya see what I mean?

      Delete
  3. I grew up on a 100 cow registered Holstein farm. Raw milk is all we drank. My dad would say; “Drink lots of milk, it’s the only thing we have plenty of!” 2% milk always amazed me. I’ve never seen a dairy cow give milk less than 3.5% butterfat. Maybe you need to get yourself a jersey cow for your own consumption, with a couple of hogs to feed the excess too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F. Hubert - Thanks for commenting and I have seriously thought about it but I know enough about it to know I doubt I could do it by hand twice a day and not enough to know if there is an easier way available. :)

      Delete
  4. A!so, look into A2 milk. It sounds like it's not lactose that bothers you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norene - Not sure what A2 is I will do a search on it. No I am so Lactose tolerant I could literally walk out into a field and take milk directly from an utter without a hitch. They are doing something to dairy these days and my theory is it is to try and make it less abrasive to the Lactose intolerant but makes it almost poison to normals. Normals would be those of European descent of course. Mostly.

      Delete
  5. I keep 2 goats for milk. They are medium producers. Getting about 7-8 cups each at peak milking once a day. I lock up the kids in the evening and milk the moms in the morning 3x a week. Their kids are 10 months old now and still nursing but I'm about to wean an dry off as the moms are due to kid again around Nov 1. All together the milking activities take probably 1 to 1-1/2 hours a week of my time... Not quite the cream line of a beautiful jersey but I've made it work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie - We keep a few goats. The wife was seriously looking into milking a such a few years back but she finally decided we were getting too old and too stretched to take it up. I had to agree coming off years of raising sheep at that point in time I was looking forward to more of a holding pattern in our efforts and honestly I am missing the entire birthing process from the lambs so not eager to start it with goats now. Of course all that was before this year. It may become more of a necessity here soon.

      Delete
    2. That should have read NOT missing :)

      Delete
  6. Farm raised gal here. I had both raw and (home) pasteurized milk growing up. The only milk I have nowadays is for cooking and it's at least 18% butterfat. No 2% or skim for me - it spoils too fast. Higher butterfat keeps way longer than the 'best before' date. I use my nose to tell me if it's still useable. Recently I tried to beat whipping cream into butter but had to give up. Apparently there is carrageenan added as a 'stabilizer' (whatever that is) to whipping cream. Who knows what else is added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - Very interesting. I know next to nothing about the dairy side of farming other than what I have picked up from my neighbors years ago. Still I consumed enough of it over the years to know something just ain't right with what they claim these days. Used to be I could be picky and be confident I was getting something as close to real milk but I am convinced they are adding things or doing something now to make it more agreeable to those with issues concerning dairy and it in turn makes it an issue for those who do not have an issue. If you see what I am saying here. All I know is I have never had issues before unless the product claims to be lactose free at which point I have to stay far away from it.

      Delete
  7. I am not allergic to milk but my son, my brother and I began reacting to milk several years ago. I bought a share in a diary cow and the RAW milk was delivered every Friday. No one reacted to that deliciousness.
    On the other hand, I was a failure to thrive kid and a bread addict. I became a talented bread baker. I had illnesses on and off and was hospitalized a few times with several magnesium deficiency. Finally a rheumatologist did the testing and I got the diagnosis I didn't want. I have celiac disease.
    My dad was put under and had the same testing. He had celiac disease. It ate our guts up.
    People think we are fruitcakes and I let them. I love bread but the wheat made me almost lose my life one night, and that of my unborn son as well.
    Half my dad's family has been diagnosed and it's been determined it's genetic. Thank you for those great Scottish-Irish-Norwegian genes, lol.
    That crap they call milk is devoid of the things your body needs to digest the milk. I have no idea what the mad scientists have done to wheat.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.