Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Weeding is 3/4's Done
It rained most of the morning but I was NOT to be shut out all day and by afternoon I pulled on the mud boots and decided it was time to start weeding the garden.
All the seeds have sprouted and grown enough to make weeding safe so I locked the sheep out of the barn once I knew the rains were passed and began mucking out the old poop and urine infested hay and bedding. I clean the barn out every few days but it is generally just a light cleaning. After lambing season is over comes the time when really attempt to get down to old bare dirt. Usually I don't get to do this until Mid-June but this year lambing season was over much sooner than usual.
Since my actual garden is maybe 20% of it's normal size this year it won't take me 92 wheel barrow loads to cover the entire thing like it usually does. This means I am going to have to find a place for the extra as I clean. I haven't even started on the manure spreader restoration project yet so it looks like this year the extra is going to become fill for the swampy area behind the barn.
Anyway it also means I can mulch the garden area I do have thicker than usual too and that's just what I did. Between the old metal sheet roofing walkways and the thick mulch of trampled down barn waste I shouldn't have any weeds pushing out for the rest of the Summer now. Well except for the Johnson Grass and Morning Glory but I think this section of the garden is relatively free of those super weeds.
The rain gauge is full again and the extreme rain we been getting is having a bad effect on the Buckwheat too. I noticed the seedlings in the lower areas are turning yellow now and only about half the height of the other parts. I guess if it kills the little seedlings off I can always fill in with my extra seeds I have left.
In the better drained parts though the seedlings are now over taking all the weeds that were competing with them last week and I am even seeing the beginnings of bloom buds starting to pop up here and there. I noticed several bees already taking an interest in the young plants.
All the bee woodenware is finished now. I need to make another run to the lumber place and pick up some stuff to bang out a couple more tops but that's about it. Now if the ground would just dry out I can shuffle some hives around and get back to trying to capture a few more swarms this year.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!