Friday, March 27, 2015

Lean Times

Seems to me one of the most important survival traits we inherited from our Northern Hemisphere ancestors is the ability to identify, anticipate and prepare for lean periods. While weather used to dictate those periods more than anything else I think it is also important to note how much the government and religion has grown in power so much that they too become a factor.

For instance religion seems to be one of those things that boosts us out of lean periods for holidays like Christmas. In some cases it's a trade off like now when beef and pork take a hit around here but you can't hardly find a fish to save your life. The government however seems to only be a drag on the economy.

For about a month each Spring I hit my lean period where I pretty much don't work a day. The last half of March and first half of April and it's pretty obvious why. There is a much shorter dry period in late August during back to school time but this pre-tax day lull can be downright scary if you don't know it's coming. One reason I like the early false Spring to hit in Mid to late March is that it gives me a perfect opportunity to get stuff done without being called out for work.

I have learned to stock up for this period a little more. If I am in the middle of a junk clearing project I leave the metal to be hauled off for early April for a bit of extra cash and if I plan on unloading any extra items I have laying around now is the time to list em. After tax day, about the time swarms start up, things get progressively busier until July of course.

This year the tax pressure seems to be worse than ever. Even my Dad is complaining about his taxes this year and I have never heard him do that before. He lives a pretty austere, below the radar life himself and has always followed the rule of having the government take more out so he doesn't have to pay. I don't agree with his philosophy on that score but it says something that he is getting hit hard by taxes this year.

On the bright side the hand spinners started showing up yesterday and I sold three fleeces already. Another good reason to schedule shearing for this time of year I guess.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!


8 comments:

  1. Many years ago in western Minnesota and the northern part of the state, it was common for folks to stock up on food and supplies before blizzard season. Now those who do are mostly ridiculed. Why bother, they tell me. Nothing will ever happen, they say. What do you need all of that food for, they ask.

    I'll tell you why. It doesn't need to be zombies or nukes or economic collapse. I have been housebound since last October with the exception of two weeks of hospital and recovery. I am still waiting for healing enough to get rid of the leg bandages that make it impossible for me to wear shoes and go out alone. Had I not spent a considerable amount of time and effort in filling my pantry as full as possible and stocking up on supplies, I would have been in trouble. As it was, I had food to last (still do) and I want for nothing. Our parents and grandparents were right when they taught us to save for a rainy day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - Exactly. I will be interested in seeing if some groups adjust to the new normal than others. I suspect they will.

      Blizzard season would be a good time to prepare for one of the lean times when you are trapped and can't get out that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. Wish I lived close enough to take a look at your fleeces. Too cold to shear here yet.
    Living in the country away from grocery and other stores has always been our way of life. We have always stocked up on staples, especially for the winter. It is only common sense, IMO. I don't worry about what other people think. Keep prepping, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz - Seems the Blue Faced fleeces are the first to go. One of the hand spinners specifically makes sure we save her the same fleece each year from the same two specific sheep. She wanted the Rambuillet fleece we got from one of our newer ewes but my mother wouldn't part with it. She choose that ewe specifically for a certain color and this is the first year it has begun to turn that color totally. We are talking about actually putting a coat on a couple fo the really good wool producers since the wool sales are actually starting to amount to something for a change.

      Ya know the leaner periods and being prepped for them is one of the most important things about rural living.

      Delete
  3. Jan and feb are the worst months for work with me. People are always in a rush to finish for Christmas then there's a big lull when no one has got any money. Still like you said, it's best to be prepared and know they're lean times coming. We always try to keep some in reserve in case work for me dries up, so important now I'm a stay at home dad As wwell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev - I can imagine. Our situations are similar in that respect even though I am passed the youngins stage of things :)

      Delete
  4. Preppy - This thought crossed my own mind this week as well. I used to have some sense of rise and fall of good and bad times. Now everything always seems stretched.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All week I have been watching yet more stories of localities spending tax money to bring in tourist dollars. The state has even bought the Natural Bridge and hotel and is pouring tax money into a true hole in the ground (well worth seeing) and it will be a grand success now that the government has a hand in it. Families are supposed to come and spend a whole week there and then spend money throughout the whole area. It will really boost the local economy. Confiscate money from one group because they really don't know how to spend money and let the government spend it because they are truly experts at it. The tourists will come!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.