Monday, October 20, 2014
A SO SO Product Review
Despite the fact that it is almost November and I am still having to mow my grass my little experiment with temporary fencing has had to come to an end. The Cutting crew ate everything in the areas I had them housed in and I finally had to put them out in the main pasture for these last few weeks until they get introduced to the rams. This is all just as well because the batteries on my Solar electric fence chargers both decided to die this week. Not even a full years worth of charging power in those things.
We went and picked up two replacement batteries which ran us $30.00 each btw. Seems a bit expensive to me and if the replacement batteries only last a year themselves well the entire thing just seems a bit too temporary for the money in my opinion.
That being said I have to admit the set up worked and worked well as long as I used the light nylon and foil fence wire. The charger really didn't have the ohms or whatever to kick solid wire into gear. Everything was fine except for those one or two Sheep that finally figured out their wool was thick enough they could ignore the wire. After that it still basically did it's job because the one or two trouble makers didn't have the courage to get too far from the others who wouldn't walk through the fence. The trouble makers (Looking at Sandwich and Molly) would stay close to where the other sheep were grazing and just be happy to be in the greener stuff. Eventually some loud truck or something would drive by and start a panic attack and they would jump back in with the others.
After the lovely green moist grass began to dry up however the entire dynamic started to change. A third troublemaker joined the other two. The big Whether who is the size of a steer named Bob. He was a bottle baby and treated like a pet for so long he knows all the tricks and would head for the front side of the barn where he knew the grain was kept along with the treat bag and if all else failed the Alfalfa field.
All this was going on as the battery was dying and kicking out very little juice so the others began getting brave and I caught them all in the Alfalfa field last night. Not good. Green Alfalfa is not stuff you want the critters to graze on because it can cause bloat and other bad things unless it has been properly dried and baled. So I have been having to run em into the pasture now and then putting them all up at night. The cutting crew's days of browsing whenever they want has come to an end because of a little section of electric fence they wouldn't respect.
As I said the setup worked well most of the Summer but as a long term plan if the batteries die after less than a years use it wouldn't work too well. All in all when you count in the money I spent on wire, stakes, the charger and such I am not sure if I really saved money over the long run. I certainly did save some time and feed costs though.
I still think a permanent fence design will work better overall.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!