Monday, November 4, 2013
Fencing is Finally Finished
Try saying the "Fencing is Finally Finished" five times really fast. Actually I didn't put in the other half of the gate poles because the wood chips have been spread but haven't settled yet and I am not sure exactly what type of permanent fence I am going to be putting there. The semi-temporary electric fence is installed though as you can see. I have the end of the gate resting on a concrete block for the time being.
I mounted the little solar charger on a piece of plywood between two t-posts and then put a lip around it because I didn't like how loose fitting the battery access panel was in the back of the unit. I was afraid water would get back there and short it out somehow. This was problematic because I couldn't cover the little solar panel so I had to go with the lip and I filled the seam with silicon caulk. Since the open wires were so close to the metal gate I also wrapped the ends in black tape so no accidental electrocutions would occur or grounding out if the gate chain fell down on the wire somehow. You would be amazed at how my Mother manages to not pay attention to stuff like that.
I did ask my Mother if she wanted to check the fence with her hand... HAHAHA I told her it was mild compared to a cattle prod.
She actually has a little tester she brought with her so I was foiled again. The unit was showing 7.2 volts (I assume) even at the furthest end. We will see how well this unit holds up before I recommend it though. It was pretty reasonably priced but has a small 6 volt battery in it so the verdict isn't in as to how long it will hold a charge. As you can see the sun was shining bright when I had it running but I am getting familiar enough with solar to know the real weakness is usually in the batteries when you go three or four days without sun or as the sun degrades the little cheap panels. I have seen many a solar powered quizzmo work well when the sun was shining but not work long when it isn't.
I managed to bend the damned grounding rod as I was putting it in the ground too which won't hurt anything but it doesn't look all nice and neat like I had planned now.
As you can see the nags were out enjoying the grass in no time flat. I am not sure why they left those hay bales out there. Just haven't put them all up yet I guess. I doubt the horses will pay much attention to them as long as the grass stays green.
I finished up the gate support yesterday. I managed to find left over materials for everything except the middle support board. The wife wasn't impressed and her first comment was that the boards didn't match so she hoped I would hurry up and paint it. I doubt I get around to painting it before Spring honestly but we will see.... The Wife has spoken so the poles and boards must be painted.
As I was admiring my handiwork and trying to figure out how to get one of the nags to stick their nose on the electric fence my Dad drove up with this on his trailer....
Yep he brought me a used brush hog. It is in damned good shape too and recommended for lower horsepower tractors. The Ford can't lift the thing off the ground of course but the wheel in the back is set for smaller tractors to use that way.
I was looking it up online and was delighted to find out the manufacturer is still in business and has a complete parts list and documentation if I ever need it. Not only that but as I was browsing their other products I discovered that my post hole auger is one of theirs as well. Or I am about 99% sure it is theirs. I couldn't find a name on the thing anywhere but the color, unique 3 point set up and gear box were exactly right.
Next order of business in the small tractor implement acquisition department is a square baler. Well actually the next order is bringing up the big Massy and getting that mower off that trailer then getting the mower put up out of the weather but at least now I can browse the ads for an old square baler.
Any excuse to look at old used farm equipment is a plus to me.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!