Tuesday, October 29, 2013

So Far So Good





It's raining outside this morning so it looks as if I am not going to be finishing up the fence project today. Not a huge big deal because the long range forecast is still showing temps getting into the 60's into the weekend and we kinda need the rain.

Yesterday we managed to finish rolling up another 20 some odd round bales down at my Step Dad's place and I re-filled all the feeders inside the bee hives. My guess is this is going to be their last re-fill as I will take off the top feeders for Winter the first warm day we get in November. I will then place some hardened sugar candy inside the hives and pray they have enough stores for Winter. I also plan on putting some foam insulation board around the hives as well.

Growth this year has been encouraging. I completely finished up the emergency rain water project around the house which included pouring a new concrete cover and the hand pump.



Which gives us about 1300 gallons of water storage on demand. It still pumps out a bit brackish however but has gotten much clearer as I refresh the system.



I caught eight bee swarms this year of which all of them but one has survived so far bringing my total number of hives going into Winter at 12. This is about eight hives below the number I wanted to be at overall for 2013 as my goal had been 20 for this year but after 2012's losses I cannot complain.


We only added two new fruit trees this year but I did get the new orchard area cleared and got massive amounts of wood chips hauled in. To date the wood chips are only about half spread out but that project should be ready for new trees come Spring easily and if something goes down between now and then, well it will be used for other planting.
Speaking of wood chips. I cannot estimate how many loads the power line guys brought me but it was enough to completely cover the new small orchard area and a couple of problem areas that had some deep ruts in them. So far the chips I have spread out have worked wonders in leveling out the ruts and once they have decomposed some more I will haul in some gravel over them. It has also saved me tons in gas as I have used the chips for all my mulch projects.

I harvested around 20 gallons of honey this year and still have enough left for Christmas presents. It was a very good year for honey production I just wish I had more producing hives coming into it.

Two over grown and brushy areas were cleaned out and I cleaned out and reseeded about another four acre spot for hay production. There is also an area that will become a grazing pen for the sheep when I fence it in.

Speaking of sheep we had twenty two new lambs born this year in total and only one that needed any long term special care and she managed to survive as well. Breeding season starts next week I believe and the rams know it.

The New Small-Hold Matriarch named 107 is scheduled to meet her ram (above) soon. I have been giving him a pep talk while building the new fence line and promising him many more pumpkins and squash next year if he graces us with twins. 107 will get a whole new pasture area to fill with her off spring and misses out of the garden produce as she will be on the Summer pasture during pumpkin season.


The two projects I didn't get to finish so far were repairing the old dam on the small farm pond and building the storage area for the gas generator. I may still manage to get to them before Winter really hits but they are still up in the air as of now.


Still I cannot complain. Summer of 2013 has been a good year for progress and taken us a long way towards complete sustainability. If the collapse holds off another year or so we may get up to adding chickens and grain production next year.

It's hard to believe I am already thinking about grain production but the addition of the tractor and the new implements is putting that goal on the radar as well.

Of course we have to make it through this Winter yet as a country and honestly I am not real sure things are going to hang on right now.

Keep Prepping Everyone!!!


17 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't get anything done this year. LOL We are getting some snow-sleet today. Another cold day and the ladies decided to bake some cookies. Have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob - Back up into the Mid 70's here today and I am back in shorts. The rain is keeping me inside though.

      Delete
  2. I am very interested in starting up some hives to go along with long term goals. For someone just starting out advice of a post on this would greatly be appreciated.
    I've noticed there is a group that meets monthly in the University town just to our east, so would that be helpful, or is it better to work with someone to learn the ropes?

    Another issue, I'm an old broad who is recovering from a near-fatal run in with a nasty little bacteria. FYI got it when I visited the hospital it our county seat. Three days later - full life support, ie., ventilator, too many tubes to count.

    So, how much physical strength does this take, is it feasible with disabilities? Avg. time commitment per week? East. Callaway Co.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ECC - Whew that's a big topic. A number of people who have lifting issues will use all medium sized honey supers for the brood chambers but even those will weigh in at 60+ pounds once filled.

      If you ever had to move a hive that presents other weight issues. I would generally say that part of bee keeping isn't possible if you cannot lift 50 to 80 pounds and stand bent over for at least 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

      But you could share the duties with someone close who is also interested.

      Time-wise if you have new colonies and feed them and such it can take an hour or so a week. About twice a year you need to really look inside each hive which takes about an hour as well. So maybe roughly figure 10 hours per year per hive minimum. I spend much more but that includes building the boxes and other stuff.

      Delete
  3. PP,

    You've been very busy my friend, and more work is waiting for you to tackle :-)

    There never really is a dull moment when you own a farm. Awww.....what a cut face on 107. I have a feeling you'll have a good season for babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - That isn't "seven" she is actually Black. That is Frazier who is gonna knock Seven up. Or He better.

      I am in the market for an outside ewe right now to add to the flock so I can breed her to either Ram.

      Delete
  4. You have accomplished a lot this past summer. Once winter sets in you can rest a bit. I'm particularly impressed with your pump. It's been a long time since I did a major project here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - I need to get to tearing down the garden now and I also want to build a lean-to roof off the back of my tool shed to free up room in the barn for mower storage and such.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a great summer. We never seem to finish everything on our wish list either, but what would you do with all that free time anyway?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy - Ya. I have kinda learned to add stuff to the list and then be kinda loose with what I work on. Like now the pond is out of the question with the rain we been getting. I like to skip around on projects it seems.

      Delete
  6. The honey caught my eye. I'd like to put in my order for next year. You sure do stay busy. Plus it seems the rams will be, um, busy pretty soon. Yep. Nothing more to add in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eileen - You want some honey now? Send me an email (and post here when you do or I may forget to check it) and we can meet up. I have some for giving away right now but it won't last past Christmas.

      Delete
  7. I would love to have that pump in my yard. Its very rare to see pumps like this now a days. I can't believe how much water comes out of them. Awe, your sheep are adorable! Good luck with breeding season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren - Why thank you. That ram really is a good looker but he is actually a bit small I think. Now that I got my computer back to accepting my camera I will have more pictures to post.

      Delete
  8. I envy your productivity and your bee hives. How did you learn to take care of bees? I want a couple hives but I don't want to spend $75 to take a class when that money could go towards the equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly - I didn't take any classes I just read and learned on my own. I made some mistakes of course. If I were you I would start with ordering a hive unpainted and in parts and put two together over the Winter and paint them. Then make about three or four swarm traps and put them out next Spring and capture your own bees.

      The only money I sink into bees now days is for wood to make stuff and paint. I also only buy the cast off paint to keep the price down.

      Since two of you have asked now I will do another getting started post soon.

      Delete

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.