Wednesday, August 14, 2013
OOOOO That Smell
I want to be sure I don't take too much.
Just grabbing ten and twelve frames at a time every couple of weeks is really time consuming since it takes so much effort to clean everything up but after last year's drought and the poor Winter it is taking a while to get everyone supplied once again. Personally I hope this latest batch of about 3 gallons tides me over until mid to late September when I will do the last harvest of the year but we will see.
Ultimately I hope to have enough producing hives and surplus supers that I only need to harvest and extract twice a year. If all my hives survive this next Winter I could hit that number next year.
Really it was almost too cool to make a good harvest day but with the windows closed and the sun shining in the window I managed to get the shed up to about 80 degrees. My guess is I may have wasted a couple of ounces due to the reduced flow but not enough to worry about.
Also I noticed the local car wash has slashed the time given per dollar in quarters you put in by a pretty sizable amount. I would say it now gives maybe half the amount of time it used to. Pretty sneaky really. My bet is most people wouldn't use the place enough to notice but I sure did today. Usually it takes $2.00 in quarters to spray and rinse my equipment and today it took $4.00 and I know it wasn't just the stuck on stuff being stubborn when the sprayer quit. I have the timing down now so they have done some adjusting. Rat Bastards.
Anyway at least I got to smell that burning wax/honey smell as I decapped the frames. I seriously love that smell I really do.
I will let this batch settle and float the air bubbles out and bottle it up Friday I guess just in time to make another market.
Not real sure how the little nuc fared today. I went and looked at it a few times and the robbing activity appears to have stopped but if the bees inside survived I still don't know. My plan is to open it up tomorrow afternoon late and move the hive that has been robbing it tomorrow night out to the West apiary.
At first I thought about setting up an area for nucs but then decided that was silly because really the garden apiary is suppose to be for nucs and problem hives that need close attention anyway. If a hive is strong enough to start raiding it's neighbors it is strong enough to fend for itself and that hive has been kicking out new brood pretty heavily the last couple of weeks. It's ready to move off to the big guy area.
Looks like another round of mowing is in the cards for tomorrow and as things slow down a little it will be time to focus on barn repairs and trim painting. Even with all this rain the grass is slowing down noticeably now so I can get back to other projects once again.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!