Monday, April 15, 2013
I did manage to get the tractor fixed however. I was on the right track with running over that bent bar trying to straighten it out but I just didn't go far enough. My dad came out yesterday afternoon and he has had a lot more experience with tearing up and then fixing old small tractors than I. What we did was put one end of the bar up on a log I hadn't split yet and then run his truck tire up on it. It really was a two person job as one had to watch the bar outside and tell the driver when to stop and roll back off before it over bent. Worked perfectly though and I got the bar back on with the new pin so it won't come loose and flop down again. All that particular bar does is keep the other supports from swaying too much so weakening it isn't an issue. Besides it is over half an inch thick and some seriously springy steel.
The verdict is now in on all the fruit trees. All the ones we planted last year have survived and are now blooming or sending out new leaves. Of the last remaining old school apple trees one of them has survived and began pushing out new leaves this weekend, the other one is completely dead. That leaves me with one old variety of apple tree, the ones you can get these days are all grafted but I don't think the original ones we had here were. I think they were the solid old type that took years and years before producing.
The Asparagus is now sprouting and we plan the first eating of that this evening. The strawberries are coming back from the great mole migration into their beds last Summer and as planned we managed to get some broccoli and cauliflower into the raised beds to defy the rainy season mud. The decision to go half raised beds and half open till for the yearly planting is working out well. The early crops can go into the raised beds and be taken care of and fixed in better draining soil while we wait out the rains. By the time the rains stop and allow access to the tiled garden it will be too hot for the early crops but just right for the warmth loving ones. With the early success of this scheme I believe I will now go on and put in another four raised beds this year and plan on adding more next year.
Each season has it's little problems but we are slowly working out how to deal with them most effectively. When you have the raised beds that allow early planting it reduces the urge and anxiousness to wait until you can get the larger garden going. After I see completely how this works out I will do a much longer post on the entire new garden arrangement.
Brush busting is officially done for the year now and I made some very good progress. I also finished it up the very day I saw my first two snakes. I still have some weed tree removal but the tall grass is all gone from around them so no biggy there.
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!