Friday, November 9, 2012

10,000 Rounds

Thankfully I have pretty much all the tactical firearms I feel I need right now. Like anyone else I will never have all the backups I would feel comfortable with but such is life. As of yesterday I noticed prices are already going up. It's starting with ammo right off the bat with a low end 20 count box of 5.56 already jumping a dollar just after the election but there was also a jump or two right before the election as well.

This is only going to get worse.

There is no way I am jumping into any big purchases in guns right now, as much as I would like to, the mad rush and fear buying is insane. While I was looking at some ammo yesterday a small stampede of gun buyers (mostly interested in pistols) were constantly coming in. However since I certainly see a need to continue some firearm preps here is what I recommend.

My ultimate goal is to have 10,000 rounds worth of brass, powder, primers and bullets for each caliber I stock. While I have noticed a fairly significant increase in prices for these components over the Summer these items are not within the buying frenzy category as much as actual firearms and manufactured ammo is right now. While the feeding frenzy of questions goes on at the counter and each customer handles a firearm you can casually walk off to the side and begin browsing the powder and reloading section looking for good deals.

Most gun stores around here have begun reselling once fired brass and there always seems to be a box or two of bullets that somehow got opened or damaged so now contain a few less than the original package. I usually scoop these up when I see them. Unfired new brass is a waste of time in my opinion for most calibers except 7.62x39 within my buying range although .308 and .303 brit comes out a bit cheaper even when using new cases. For most calibers I recommend buying boxed ammo and then reloading the cases which is why I stay away from steel ammo of all kinds. Purchasing only reloadable brass ammo adds a significant cost to all calibers but the 7.62x39 takes a significant price hit when going from steel to reloadable cases.

Powder has risen in price as well. H335 seems to have jumped at least 5% in price just over the Summer and finding the cheaper end bullets is next to impossible unless you order them online in bulk these days.

I have not run any hard numbers only some rough averages in my head but 10,000 rounds of 5.56/.223 would require about 20 lbs. of powder, 10,000 bullets and primers (of course) and in my opinion a minimum of 5000 cases (either currently loaded or already fired/new). A third or fourth reloading is not out of the question but usually requires more work in case prep so I do not count on it.

In the 5.56 range that total would run you about $1400.00 or so just for the primers, bullets and powder but my guess is you are not going to see the prices increase for these components nearly as fast or as much for the next few months like you will on guns and manufactured ammo.

If you act quickly I noticed Titan reloading once again has 5.56/.223 range brass in stock. Their prices are a bit high but the brass I have purchased from them is typically much cleaner and better checked over than range brass from say Graf's. I have usually had poor luck trying to catch close out sales using mail order but a trip to the big reloading stores almost always nets me a good deal. Last year I was able to pick up 1000 7.62x39 bullets for $50.00 and some small rifle primers for $20.00 per 1000 atone of the local big mail order places.

adding reloading tools and supplies to your preps can extend out your ammo stores for quite a while. Certainly it is something you should look into for the times ahead.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.