Monday, June 26, 2023

Making Hay As the Sun Shines

 

As I mentioned yesterday every neighbor I have now that I acknowledge is now pissed off at me. The sheep, the goats the transient squirrel. Quail, every hanger on cat. birds and even ground hogs. They are all pissed I let the big loud things back. 

I spent the entire day after I got home from work moving the sheep around so they were in a field that did not need mowed or tedded. The baler guys even started off baling idiot cubes which surprised me. All the other animals huddled as close to my garden resting shady spot as they could get even the wild animals except the skunks who I am pretty sure are now gone for a while anyway.

Ya know last year a Mo. Dept. of Conservation guy told me most skunks around rural areas in Missouri did not make permanent dens but traveled alot. He claimed the Northern skunks would but it was best to just leave the ones South of I-70 alone and they would soon move on. I had been planning a skunk raid as some mother skunk had 3 babies who would actually come out of their den and play with the stray cat quests sometimes at night. I put some used cat litter around their den and the entire family disappeared never to be seen again. So rather than risk getting into it with any skunks I see around now I just spread some used cat litter around and they have all left post haste so far. Other experiences may vary but so far a very passive cat litter repellent has been my go to method.

Anyway I rarely see a skunk more than enough times now to figure out where it is holing up.

The transient squirrel almost climbed into my lap he was so scared of the mowers.

So anyway every one left and I got the chickens put up. They left quiet a few rows down for round baling tomorrow and I informed them I would be at work when the idiot cube stacking began :) Luckily I got four vehicles already dropped off this evening waiting for me so I can't be accused of lying.

The rest of this week is suppose to be awful with highs up to the 100's until a possible storm blows in Friday night so I plan on taking it easy this week and over watering the garden some to help it fight the heat. So far all of my plants inside the mulch area are doing well but smaller raised bed areas are getting hammered and all my plants are pretty much stunted from this drought.

I hope it breaks soon.


Keep Prepping Everyone!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. We like comments. Sometimes we have even been known to feed Trolls.