Friday, June 10, 2016
Not Bad For Antiques
The 2016 shakedown baling is finished. I usually get somewhere between 30 and 50 bales per run off the small hay field and I got 46 this time around. I honestly think I would have gotten another 15 or 20 bales if I had a mower that worked worth a damn. So much hay got knocked over and not cut that it was clogging up the baler pretty bad and forced me to raise the feed hopper which in turn meant I missed some cut stuff too.
I also found out that the constant fiddling and starting back and forth on the diesel has made the battery go bad as it wouldn't start this afternoon after I got the baler ready to go.
It's always something it seems. Mrs. PP pointed out rather smugly that it's always something because I am using antiques. She got a giggle out of it until I pointed out that we were both older than a couple of her so called antiques.
Truth is this thing is slowly coming together. Ya the field looks like it got hacked up by a student in her first day of beauty school. I haven't fully learned how to set that sickle bar mower up properly and I had to jump start my tractor but there were many improvements.
For one thing last year I couldn't even get the sickle bar mower to work at all and had to cut the fields with the brush hog which severely depleted the overall yield. Still I baled up almost 400 bales total if I remember right and we are now down to our last 20 left over.
Secondly I am getting a much better handle on the old Ford 532 baler too. I managed to get her cleaned, lubed and set up so she only miss-tied the first bale and then popped the other 45 out just as tight and uniform as could be hoped for.
I also have all the tools needed for baler prep stored in the old girl now so no running around trying to find everything as I need it. The whole process was pretty painless in that arena.
The diesel not starting prompted me to try something I had been wondering about though which was if the old 8N could run that baler. I actually moved the baler from storage to field with the 8N and was able to run the baler with her but the ground speed and lack of a true live PTO on the clutch pretty much meant the 8N was useless with the baler. I just didn't have the speed and PTO control I need for it.
All in all I can't complain too much. Each time I do this I get a little better at it and the equipment gets a little more familiar and better at it's job.
That field looks like crap though. I am going to have to run the brush hog over it to even it out some before all the neighbors laugh at it.....
Hopefully this next week now things will begin to level out to normal once again and I will get caught back up on things I have let go. Like blogging and bee keeping to name a few...
Keep Prepping Everyone!!!!!!